none
Windows 10 And The Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a lot of research and it looks like the ability to lock down the start menu with an xml file is not working in Version 1703. What I have done/tested is unpin all of the unnecessary items I do not want to a start menu and added what I did want. I then ran the export-startlayout cmdlet thus creating my xml template. I saved that document to a local computer for testing purposes and within the local GPO under user configuration\administrative template\start menu and taskbar\start layout.

enabled this policy and put the file path of C:\layout.xml within the policy to point to my exported start menu xml document. after much troubleshooting it seems more and more are having such issues and no one has found a solution that I can find. Is this correct?

TRhoades5

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please see the official notification about the default function.

For more information, please refer to:

Manage Windows 10 Start and taskbar layout

According to my know, there is not such an update package could realize your goal.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi TRhoades5,

Thank you for your effort and feedback.

But I haven't heard any information about start menu customized not work in Windows 10 1703.

What's the version of your Windows (Pro, Education or Enterprise)?

What user profile you are using? The layout modification XML to configure Start is not supported with roaming user profiles.

What's the symptom occur after customized? 

Please try to check the issue after reboot computer. Run command line "gpresult /h C:GP.html " to check applied Group Policy items. 

If the issue persists, please upload the .xml file to One Drive and paste the link here. We will test this issue on our side.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:20 AM
  • Hi TRhoades5,

Thank you for your effort and feedback.

But I haven't heard any information about start menu customized not work in Windows 10 1703.

What's the version of your Windows (Pro, Education or Enterprise)?

What user profile you are using? The layout modification XML to configure Start is not supported with roaming user profiles.

What's the symptom occur after customized? 

Please try to check the issue after reboot computer. Run command line "gpresult /h C:GP.html " to check applied Group Policy items. 

If the issue persists, please upload the .xml file to One Drive and paste the link here. We will test this issue on our side.

Bests,

Pro

I am editing with my domain admin account and yes, we do have roaming user profiles. I never saw anything on that. Well, looks like we are going to have to modify them when setting up stations then if that is the case. Do you know if there is a fix for this in later updates? Since we having roaming profiles would you like for me to continue on sending my xml file?

What I see is after I set up the GPO with my xml file it takes a few tiles out and there not even the ones that I took out from creating the xml file.

TRhoades5

Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please see the official notification about the default function.

For more information, please refer to:

Manage Windows 10 Start and taskbar layout

According to my know, there is not such an update package could realize your goal.

Bests,

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Yes, looks like it doesn't work with roaming profiles.

TRhoades5

Friday, November 17, 2017 2:11 PM