none
Windows 10 (1703) - Windows Settings - Gaming

Question

• Hi,

I'm looking at the new 1703 build of Windows 10.  Specifically Enterprise edition.

What makes me so mad is that M$ have shoved all this *guff* into a so called Enterprise product.

How on earth can I hide/remove/get rid of the GAMING icon in the Windows Settings page? (Game bar, DVR, broadcasting, Game Mode).  There doesnt appear to be a GPO for it.

Also, I would like to get rid of the "Mixed Reality Portal" in the Start Menu.

If you are a company that writes games etc then fine, but what about us poor normal private companies that want to roll out an enterprise version of windows. (E.g. NO XBOX, GAMES, Solitaire etc)  At the moment before sysprep I remove all the chaff, but I cannot see how to get rid of the GAMING icon in settings or the Mixed Reality Portal.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 3:18 PM

Answers

• There's a new GPO setting in 1703 that will allow to customize the Settings pages.

Start GPedit.msc then check in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel

There's a new setting named : Settings Page Visibilty

More info will probably be posted on TechNet when Creators Update is released officially ;-)

Gérald

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:53 PM

All replies

• There's a new GPO setting in 1703 that will allow to customize the Settings pages.

Start GPedit.msc then check in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel

More info will probably be posted on TechNet when Creators Update is released officially ;-)

Gérald

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:53 PM

Gérald

Gerald,

That looks promising. although it only seems to be things under the heading you can hide, e.g. About, Bluetooth, Themes etc, not the top level like System, Devices, Gaming etc.

Thanks for the input

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Gerald,

You are a genious.

That setting with

hide:gaming-gamebar;gaming-gamedvr;gaming-broadcasting;gaming-gamemode

Actually hides the whole gaming option.

Thank you so much.

Just goes to show the partners know more than Microsoft staff themselves.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:33 PM
  • This was a huge find. Thank you both!
    Friday, April 14, 2017 1:10 PM

Gérald

Gerald, can we get a link to the TechNet Creators Update information you speak on?
    Friday, April 14, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Seems this was published yesterday on Docs ;-)

Manage the Settings app with Group Policy

Gérald

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:28 AM
  • My guess is, it only works for Enterprise edition, not for Professional one, as it didn't work for me ...

If it's in the policy, there must be a way of doing that in Registry Editor - any ideas guys?

EDIT - my bad, it works in PRO as well! That was only a spello that prevented it from working...

• Edited by Flyagaric Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Thank you. This has been very helpful
    Friday, July 14, 2017 9:57 AM
  • No one replied about how to get rid of "Mixed Reality Portal" in the Start Menu.

Any news ??

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Thank you, thank you! I also have to note that I think this is the first time in about 5 years that I have actually found an answer to a Microsoft problem on a Microsoft web-site! Maybe the future isn't so bleak after all - though I guess whilst Microsoft continue to write operating systems for Microsoft instead of their customers, there'll never be much change. Microsoft's positive points mostly came from the customisability of its previous OSs and the fact that it wasn't like Apple. Windows 10 is rapidly making me think that I may as well go join the Apple fanbois - at least their stuff works. Ever since the Fail Creators Update (and before if I'm honest) I don't feel like I actually own my computer anymore, which is a sad state of affairs.

Anyway, thanks for this... it may keep me around for a few more weeks.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:02 AM