Cannot register SdkShaInfo.dll - side by side issue? RRS feed

• Question

• The client computer (Windows 7) is a clean install, joined to the domain and configured to get NAP working and it does work (followed the guidelines on the step by step document of setting up the NAP in a DHCP environment test lab).

When downloading and following the Windows 7 RC SDK instructions on setting up the NAP SDK, when registering SdkShaInfo.dll I get an error saying that it was unable to register as there is some side-by-side issue/configuration issue?

VC++ redist 2005 has been installed, and still no luck.

any ideas?
    Need 2 be back @ MS - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:47 AM

Answers

• I seem to have fixed it, after installing VS2008 and the Win7 SDK - not sure which one fixed it.

but now, the problem is that on the client, the Sample SDK has not been initialised... and cannot seem to initialise it.

any ideas on how to get it up and running, so I can see it working from the server end when I create the policy with the sample SHV in the SDK?

Need 2 be back @ MS - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Hi,
    Please follow the following steps to register SDK SHA and SHV on Client and Server

Copy the NAP SDK binaries locally (say c:\sdk) and navigate to this newly created folder

1) On client, register the SDK SHA  using sdksha.exe /register
    2) On the server, register Corresponding SDK SHV using  regsvr32 sdkshv.dll
    3) On the Server, in the NPS configuration wizard (NPS.msc), modify all/reguired health policies both healthy and Unhealthy (NPS.msc->policies->Health Policies and double clicking required health policies and including the SDKSHV by checking "SDK SHV sample" from "SHVs used in this health policy") to include the newly register SDK SHV
    4) On client, run Sdksha.exe /Execute   and press keys 4 and 1  to make the SDK SHA healthy and Press keys 3 and 1  to make SDK SHA unhealthy

Please let me know if this dint work.

Thanks,
    Naveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The content provided is based on my personal experience and Microsoft is no way responsible for my replies. 

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks Naveen for the details.  Ahmed, the initialization step for SDK SHA is done as part of running the command Sdksha.exe /Execute.
    Howard Lee - Microsoft
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• I seem to have fixed it, after installing VS2008 and the Win7 SDK - not sure which one fixed it.

but now, the problem is that on the client, the Sample SDK has not been initialised... and cannot seem to initialise it.

any ideas on how to get it up and running, so I can see it working from the server end when I create the policy with the sample SHV in the SDK?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Hi,
    Please follow the following steps to register SDK SHA and SHV on Client and Server

Copy the NAP SDK binaries locally (say c:\sdk) and navigate to this newly created folder

1) On client, register the SDK SHA  using sdksha.exe /register
    2) On the server, register Corresponding SDK SHV using  regsvr32 sdkshv.dll
    3) On the Server, in the NPS configuration wizard (NPS.msc), modify all/reguired health policies both healthy and Unhealthy (NPS.msc->policies->Health Policies and double clicking required health policies and including the SDKSHV by checking "SDK SHV sample" from "SHVs used in this health policy") to include the newly register SDK SHV
    4) On client, run Sdksha.exe /Execute   and press keys 4 and 1  to make the SDK SHA healthy and Press keys 3 and 1  to make SDK SHA unhealthy

Please let me know if this dint work.

Thanks,
    Naveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The content provided is based on my personal experience and Microsoft is no way responsible for my replies. 

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks Naveen for the details.  Ahmed, the initialization step for SDK SHA is done as part of running the command Sdksha.exe /Execute.
    Howard Lee - Microsoft
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:55 PM