Windows 7 DCOM issue RRS feed

• Question

• This has been driving me crazy!  Much googling and all sorts of things, and I'm still nowhere!

Windows 7 Pro.  Connecting to a 2008R2 server.  We install a DB on the clients to talk to the DB on the server.  The app is written in VB and stored on the server.  Users double click shortcuts on their desktops that go to the server.

When you double click the shortcut, the "splash screen" comes up pretty quick, stays for 2 seconds, then goes away.  Normally another screen should pop up and ask me for the login.  Not here...once the splash disappears, the system will freeze.  Clicking anything from the taskbar (start button, quick launch buttons, etc) does nothing other than to give you the spinning circle.  After about 3 minutes of this, finally everything you've clicked or done comes flying up!

The only error I see in Event Log is this:

The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I have tried disabling Anti-virus, shutting off the firewall, etc etc.  All to no avail.  The XP clients have no issues at all....

Would appreciate any help!

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you should talk to the developer of the VB app about that. They might want to rewrite the app in .NET, considering that classical Visual Basic is pretty outdated.

Cheers,
    Trevor Sullivan

If this post was helpful, please click the little "Vote as Helpful" button :)

Trevor Sullivan
    http://trevorsullivan.net

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:34 PM