Does Bitlocker in Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 10 Pro support RAID 0 drive configuration? RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop has two SSD drives that run in RAID 0 configuration (so it's hardware RAID, not software RAID, but specifically RAID 0, where data are stored across two drives, not mirrored).

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit and ran into some difficulties when I turned on Bitlocker. I was able to get my computer back to functioning, and Bitlocker says that my drive is now fully encrypted, but I have an error message from Intel, which is how we discovered that my drive is really two drives with RAID 0. I'm wondering if anyone knows much about this. Specifically:

Does Bitlocker in Windows 8.1 Pro support RAID 0 -- should I trust that it's actually fully encrypting my data and won't cause problems going forward, e.g., if I de-encrypt and re-encrypt to change the Bitlocker settings or upgrade my OS?

and

Would upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, which I haven't done yet but plan to do eventually, result in Bitlocker working better with my RAID 0 configuration (e.g., is RAID 0 newly supported in Windows 10 Pro?)?

I haven't been able to find information about Bitlocker and RAID 0 that is current enough to answer my questions.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Edited by Sarah_995 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:51 PM error in my subject header
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to TechNet document, hardware-based RAID is supported for BitLocker, however software RAID is not supported. For your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449438%28WS.10%29.aspx

Moreover, Windows 10 remain support RAID 0, just in case please backup Windows before upgrade.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, November 27, 2015 11:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:36 AM