none
Offline domain join with Description, OU location and group memberships?

Question

• We have a list of computers that need to be offline domain joined that will be going into a specific organizational unit (all the same). However each computer needs unique text in the description field describing what the computer is being used for or who it is assigned to and some may need security group memberships added.

Can any or all of these attributes be created automatically with offline domain join command?  If so, how?

If the accounts are already in use in AD (existing computers being redeployed using the same computer name, description and security group memberships), can we offline domain join over those existing accounts and thus save the existing descriptions and group memberships?
    • Edited by Kalimanne Friday, April 20, 2018 11:26 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 11:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to accomplish this by using MDT

http://maikkoster.com/offline-domain-join-with-mdt/

hth
    Marcin

Saturday, April 21, 2018 1:05 AM
  • The link says you need a PowerShell script to create text files for each account, but doesn't provide any examples.

It also doesn't mention things like pre-populating the description field and security group memberships

Saturday, April 21, 2018 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try to run the djoin command and change the property of the object created afterwards ?

Best Regards,

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try to run the djoin command and change the property of the object created afterwards ?

Best Regards,

We will have a CSV file with a large list of computer account names followed by the text that will go into the description fields.

I know I could edit the properties after djoin, but what I'm trying to do is automate this so that I don't need to go to each object and manually type in the description fields.

We need to either reuse/reset the existing computer accounts that already have the description fields populated so the existing descriptions are saved or else use automate putting the description information in from the text file of names and descriptions.

Monday, April 23, 2018 12:56 PM
  • If you can change the property after the creation so you can script it using ActiveDirectory module for Powershell.

The script will first create the object using djoin and after that modify it using set-adcomputer for example

Best Regards,

Monday, April 23, 2018 1:34 PM
  • The link says you need a PowerShell script to create text files for each account, but doesn't provide any examples.

It also doesn't mention things like pre-populating the description field and security group memberships

Hi,

I we could find a script from the following link:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter

Also, you may create a new thread in PowerShell forum to get more help about PowerShell script.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kalimanne Friday, May 18, 2018 3:11 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 1:36 PM

Hi,

I we could find a script from the following link:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter

Also, you may create a new thread in PowerShell forum to get more help about PowerShell script.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I just went to the Script Center, typed djoin into the search box and got zero results.
    Monday, April 23, 2018 2:06 PM
  • If you can change the property after the creation so you can script it using ActiveDirectory module for Powershell.

The script will first create the object using djoin and after that modify it using set-adcomputer for example

Best Regards,

Monday, April 23, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hello,

Any news on that ?

Best Regards,

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:30 PM
  • I don't know how to do this, so we are just typing the descriptions in manually on every computer after the domain join.
    • Edited by Kalimanne Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:33 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:33 PM
  • Ok but you had every element to script to it.

First djoin and after that a Set-ADComputer

Like William told you, you can post on the Powershell forum if you want help to script it

Best Regards,

Friday, May 18, 2018 8:10 AM