none
managing multiple projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a methodological question regarding managing multiple projects.

In our company we have dozens of projects each year. The projects are not large in "Gantt lines size" (e.g. 20-50 rows per project).

Sometimes, the project is only 10 rows in our Gantt chart (for example, a fix to a released project, that gets a new revision name).

here is my question:

From these 2 options that can be used to manage the projects, what is preferred:

1. Put everything in a single file, where each project gets a specific WBS.

2. create a project file per each project.

more info: the projects share the same resources, so there is a great influence and resource relationships between the projects.

is there another way to address this issue?

thanks in advance,

Yuval
    • Edited by Yuval.p Monday, March 4, 2013 12:54 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• When a project is complete, i break the link between the schedule and the resource pool and move the .mpp to an 'archive' folder.
    • Marked as answer by Yuval.p Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

• We have a similar setup. I sue a single file for each project. Each project is then linked to a resource pool so that resource assignements and allocation can be viewed in a single file.
    Monday, March 4, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Yuval,

The normal way to handle this scenario is with multiple projects linked to a resource pool. That has the advantage of being able to have multiple users responsible for each project such that each project can be edited/maintained more-less independently. However the disadvantage is that any linked structure is subject to corruption.

In your case, unless you need the ability to have multiple users maintain each project, I suggest you put everything into a single file. Each project is relatively small and all resources will of course be together in the single file. In my opinion the whole thing will be easier to maintain.

John

Monday, March 4, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Yuval,

The best solution to handle this is to link each project to resource pool and put it in a single file for better management and control but linked assignments and resources should be handled carefully because single one effects others linked one..

Regards

Muhammad Enam UR REHMAN 

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Thanks John,
    What about the file growing and growing all the time?
    as projects are done, I don't need to keep them in the file.

should I just move all completed projects to a new "repository" file?
    what will be done with all the links to other projects?

thanks,
    Yuval
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:39 AM
  • When a project is complete, i break the link between the schedule and the resource pool and move the .mpp to an 'archive' folder.
    • Marked as answer by Yuval.p Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:00 AM