header/footer/ page number issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a real issue I cannot seem to fix.

I have a book format document, 6"x9", 211 pages long.

I have inserted page numbers at the bottom of the page, beginning on actual page 4 of the document.  Also beginning on page 4 of the document, I want the title of the book.  But on the next page I want the author.  I want the title and author to then be alternated on each page.  

I can get it to alternate, but then it alternates my page number in the footer?  I can't seem to do both,  only one or the other!  :(

Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:55 PM

Answers

• I'm assuming you added the title by selecting an option at Insert tab | Footer? Doing this inserts a building block which wipes any existing content in the footer.

What you can do is manually add the page number back as follows: Double-click the header to activate the header/footer area. Move the insertion point into the footer at the location where you want the page number. Press Alt+Shift+P. Exit the footer by double-clicking the main body of the document.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 10, 2013 2:10 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• You need to open the footer and in the Header and Footer tab of the ribbon mark the box for Odd and Even Pages. Insert the Author on the Even footer page and the Title on the Odd page. Also make sure you have the Page number inserted on both.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:10 AM
  • I did this.

However, it then takes the page numbers and makes them appear only every other page.

For instance, page 1 looks like this:

TITLE HEADER at top

1 at bottom

Page 2 looks like this:

AUTHOR HEADER at top

*blank* at bottom

Page 3 looks like this:

TITLE HEADER at top

3 at bottom

and it continues like this, never displaying the even number page numbers

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:26 AM
  • You have to insert a page number field into the footer of page 2.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:52 AM
  • I am doing this...maybe I need to youtube this so you can see.

Also, the first page of text needs to have a number 1.

EXISTING ON THE DOCUMENT:

Header  (title)

text

(no footer yet)

But when I click on insert footer, and choose insert page number, it puts a number but once again only puts a number on every other page.

EVERY PAGE NEEDS A NUMBER ALONG WITH A HEADER.  Like this:

PAGE 1

Header: Title

Footer: 1

PAGE 2

Header: Author

Footer: 2

PAGE 3

Header: Title

Footer: 3

...and so on and so forth.

Any changes I make by clicking that dang box for odd/even messes one or the other up.

Friday, May 31, 2013 1:31 AM
  • I'm assuming you added the title by selecting an option at Insert tab | Footer? Doing this inserts a building block which wipes any existing content in the footer.

What you can do is manually add the page number back as follows: Double-click the header to activate the header/footer area. Move the insertion point into the footer at the location where you want the page number. Press Alt+Shift+P. Exit the footer by double-clicking the main body of the document.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 10, 2013 2:10 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 1:39 PM