Word file size suddenly became 0kb - Office 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• User has reported strange problem - she was editing a Word file, according to her everything was fine and the next day when she tried to open the same file an error appeared:

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc There is only option to click OK, afterwards it asks encoding version and file is 0kb size. 

I have the previous version on the backup, so there was no big problem. But the next day the same happened with another important document for same user (all backed up versions were 0 size, so file must have got corrupted before).

Any ideas what can make the file became 0 size ? A virus? Or this converter problem?

Will Office re-installation fix the problem. I've also found Microsoft fix-it for this specific error. 

Thank you in advance for any hints,

Piotr 

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:13 AM

Answers

• Normally when we see left over tempfiles and0 byte files it's a permission issue or a 3rd party kernel level filter driver has a lock on the file (e.g. Antivirus).  In another scenario (assuming she is saving across a LAN/WAN) there could be connectivity issues or even hardware products interfering (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277010)

You may want to have your user enable Make Local Copy and retest.

With this option selected and you   open a file that is located on a network share or removable drive, Word saves a   copy of the file to your local fixed hard disk drive. The copy is saved in the   Windows TEMP folder with a file

name similar to "~wrc000.tmp". Word then uses   the local copy of the document as a working reference during the entire editing   process until you save your changes. During the save process, Word saves the   changes you made to the local working copy and also saves the changes made back   to the original document. After all the changes have been saved and you close   the file in Word, the local working copy of the file is deleted from the TEMP   folder.

To turn the Make local copy of files stored on   network or removable drives option on, follow these steps: 

• On the Tools menu, click Options.
      • Click the Save tab.
      • Click to select the Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives check box.
      • Click OK to close the Options dialog box.

Other reasons:

• Chkdsk was run and truncated the file(s).
    • Some utility/application overwrote the file with the 0 byte file (possibly antivirus or backup, or other user action).
    • Error occurred during a Save/Save As operation in the Office application. (Possibly due to network or permissions.)

Here are a few articles that talk about tempfiles andWord permissions that are needed:

211632    Description of how Word creates temporaryfiles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;211632

277867    Windows NTFS permissions are required when you run Word on any NTFS partition that has Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;277867

Sincerely, Susan Microsoft Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Piotr,

There is a blog article for this error, check if it applies to your situation, and see if the solution will work.

Link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wordonenotesupport/archive/2009/12/10/when-opening-the-word-document-users-are-getting-error-word-cannot-start-the-convertor-mswrd632-wpc-or-cannot-load-word-for-windows-6-0-files.aspx

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi Max,

Thank you for the answer. I've found similar article before posting my question, but didn't apply the fix yet.

The real question is what did happen with those 2 files so now they are corrupted and both are 0kb size. Empty Word doc file is ~11kb. I don't expect my users to delete all the text from file, save it as txt and rename it back to doc (that's the only way I could make 0kb sized ".doc" file). Especially when the file was "important project file" they were working on. 

The user can work normally with other Word files, no errors whatsoever. What the users expect from my side is to re-assure that no new files will got corrupted. To do that I will need to know what could possibly cause this 0 size. 

Any hints on that? Anything I can check on their PC's?

Thank you in advance,

Piotr

Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hi Piotr,

This is a note to let your know that I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Normally when we see left over tempfiles and0 byte files it's a permission issue or a 3rd party kernel level filter driver has a lock on the file (e.g. Antivirus).  In another scenario (assuming she is saving across a LAN/WAN) there could be connectivity issues or even hardware products interfering (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277010)

You may want to have your user enable Make Local Copy and retest.

With this option selected and you   open a file that is located on a network share or removable drive, Word saves a   copy of the file to your local fixed hard disk drive. The copy is saved in the   Windows TEMP folder with a file

name similar to "~wrc000.tmp". Word then uses   the local copy of the document as a working reference during the entire editing   process until you save your changes. During the save process, Word saves the   changes you made to the local working copy and also saves the changes made back   to the original document. After all the changes have been saved and you close   the file in Word, the local working copy of the file is deleted from the TEMP   folder.

To turn the Make local copy of files stored on   network or removable drives option on, follow these steps: 

• On the Tools menu, click Options.
      • Click the Save tab.
      • Click to select the Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives check box.
      • Click OK to close the Options dialog box.

Other reasons:

• Chkdsk was run and truncated the file(s).
    • Some utility/application overwrote the file with the 0 byte file (possibly antivirus or backup, or other user action).
    • Error occurred during a Save/Save As operation in the Office application. (Possibly due to network or permissions.)

Here are a few articles that talk about tempfiles andWord permissions that are needed:

211632    Description of how Word creates temporaryfiles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;211632

277867    Windows NTFS permissions are required when you run Word on any NTFS partition that has Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;277867

Sincerely, Susan Microsoft Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Susan, thank you for the answer, it explained a lot. I will look for one of the causes listed if the issue will re-appear.

Kind regards,

Piotr

Piotr

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:45 PM