Outlook Client-Only rules migrated during Hybrid migration to Exchange Online? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Would like to know if the the client-only rules will remain intact after an Exchange hybrid migration to Office 365.

Is there any supporting article/blog from MS about this?

Regards

SJ

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:33 AM

All replies

• I am pretty sure you are going to hate my answer ...:) looks like you cannot migrate client side rules into O365. 

This is what I found ... 

When your mailbox is migrated to Office 365, all server-side rules are preserved. However, client-side rules -- those that can only be run on the local Outlook client application -- are lost and will need to be recreated. Most rules, such as moving mail items to specific folders, are server-side by default, and this is preferable since it means the rules are applied independent of the device on which you access your mail. However, rules that involve categories or those that move mail items to client-side folders, can only be run on the local client. If a rule is client-side, you will see the words (client-side) next to the title of the rule.

Please have a look at the below posts 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/server-side-vs-client-only-rules-e1847992-8aa1-4158-8e24-ad043decf1eb

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/371

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Thank you Thuyavan :)

Getting mixed answers for this. some say the rules remain intact. That is the reason I asked if this is discussed in any MS blogs/KB. 

-SJ

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Hi SJ,

Unfortunately there is no any MS blogs/KBs to discuss this. But, based on my test in my hybrid environment, all mailbox rules will be migrated from on-premises Exchange to cloud. However, due to the difference between server-side and client-side rules, if you are using an outlook which does not include a local folder that applies to a client-side rule, the client-side rule which is migrated from on-premise will not take affect, we also need to recreate client-side rule. 

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, December 21, 2018 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Hi SJ,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:45 AM