none
"free" external onedrive users cannot use the new sync button in Sharepoint

Question

• We have found that for external users with a free windows live/onedirve plan, when they are invited to a sharepoint site and click the sync button, it does not sync the document library files.

In testing, if the external user that we have shared a document library with has themselves a full Office 365 plan (like say E3) their onedrive pops up with the document library to sync and all works fine.

However users that do not have a full office 365 plan and instead are using a free windows live type account to access our shared sharepoint document library, the sync button doesn't work.

Today I did a test in a remote session on 3rd party's PC. I opened their onedrive and unlinked their free onedrive account. Then I clicked the sync button in sharepoint and onedrive launched prompting me to sign in. I logged in as a test account that has a full E3 plan - the sync worked perfect.

I then unlinked the test account and clicked the sharepoint library sync button again. Again, I got the prompt to log into onedrive. This time I logged in with the user's free onedrive account only now it just opened up the personal onedrive folder and did not sync the sharepoint library.

So it seems the new onedrive/Sharepoint document library sync only works for external users if the external user has a full office 365 plan - can anyone confirm?

Cheers!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi technet user,

What is version of your OneDrive, OneDrive or OneDrive for Business?

OneDrive is online personal storage for you to securely store your files and access them from any device. OneDrive for Business is online storage intended for business purposes.

Using OneDrive for Business, we can sync both OneDrive for Business libraries as well as SharePoint Online document libraries from team sites.

Please install the OneDrive Business client application to sync the libraries in SharePoint Online.

Here is an article about how to install OneDrive for Business:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903984

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:39 PM
  • Hi Linda,

We have retired the old onedrive for business now across all our sharepoint instances. This is related to the new onedrive client that was released a few weeks ago. This new version syncs everything including sharepoint libraries and has very few limits. More info here: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-6de9ede8-5b6e-4503-80b2-6190f3354a88

It's so new there is not much info online about this new client so I'm wondering is this a bug or does the invited guest to the shared library need to have an E3 plan?

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:46 PM
  • We have confirmed from our own testing that you can only sync and Organisation Sharepoint Document libraries with the new OneDrive client if you are using an Office 365 business account that is part of that very same organisation.

Using a free personal OneDrive account, or an OFfice 365 organisation account from a different organisation to access shared content will not work. The latter now gives the error: "Sorry, OneDrive can't add your folder right now It may belong to another organisation"

This means shared document library content must be accessed via the Sharepoint portal by the guest.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to allow guests sync shared document library content for other organisations sync using the new OneDrive client?

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:29 PM
  • Hi technet usr,

You can vote the following feedback in the UserVoice. UserVoice is a platform for getting feedback about Microsoft Office products.

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/18441352-enable-the-option-to-sync-onedrive-files-from-file

If the feedback is high voted there, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the new version in the future.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Painfully confirmed again. This is going to kill adoption at our company, when project managers cannot work with any of their external suppliers using a cloud storage with sync option. One of the original votes for this is from 2017. I guess we can only vote right now?

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913522-onedrive-on-windows/suggestions/18441352-enable-syncing-of-files-across-o365-organizations

And, the support page where this restriction is helpfully listed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-and-folders

Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:44 AM