Sequence Excel PowerPivot 2010 Add-In RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to sequence the Excel PowerPivot 2010 (Beta) add-in for Excel 2010.  I would like to include this as a part of suite composition for Excel 2010.  I don't know that there is a particular executable that should be created as an "application" as part of sequencing.  It just seems to install a number of files, etc. but really doesn't have an exectuable to point to. 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about creating this virtualized add-in?

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is working now.  The basic steps I followed:

1. Install Office 2010 Beta locally on sequencer
    2. Launch Excel 2010 and make sure it is functional
    3. Start Sequencer and monitor to Q:\EXPIVOT.S01
    4. Launch the PowerPivot MSI installation and just accept defaults
    5. Before stopping monitoring launch Excel 2010.  It should come up with an installer of sorts for the Add-In, you choose install and then the PowerPivot ribbon is on the toolbar
    6. Exit Excel and choose stop monitoring
    7. The sequencer will detect a single executable (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AtomLauncher.exe). Remove it from the list of applications.  Add a reference to notepad (Thanks Znack) and I changed the name to something like "Excel PowerPivot Add-In (Placeholder)"
    8. I removed all shortcuts to this application and did no launching.
    9. Save the package and import it into the AppV management server
    10. Because our Excel 2010 is virtual, I opened the Excel 2010 OSD file and added the CODEBASE reference from the PowerPivot Add-In package inside of a set of DEPENDENCIES tags just after the VIRTUALENV tag.

One mistake I made at first was that the Excel 2010 OSD already contained a DEPENDENCY tag which is not that same as the DEPENDENCIES tag. 

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 22, 2010 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:56 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If the secondary applicaiton in the suite doesn't have an EXE-file, anything will do (I usually use notepad).

Since you will not be starting it "standalone" but simply providing it with the main application there probably doesn't need to be one..

/Znack

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:25 PM
  • BTW, if you're able to get this working, I'd like to know what you do. I tried to set this up for several days a week or so ago and kept getting errors with the dynamic suite.

Thanks,

Michael

Monday, March 22, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Yes, it is working now.  The basic steps I followed:

1. Install Office 2010 Beta locally on sequencer
    2. Launch Excel 2010 and make sure it is functional
    3. Start Sequencer and monitor to Q:\EXPIVOT.S01
    4. Launch the PowerPivot MSI installation and just accept defaults
    5. Before stopping monitoring launch Excel 2010.  It should come up with an installer of sorts for the Add-In, you choose install and then the PowerPivot ribbon is on the toolbar
    6. Exit Excel and choose stop monitoring
    7. The sequencer will detect a single executable (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AtomLauncher.exe). Remove it from the list of applications.  Add a reference to notepad (Thanks Znack) and I changed the name to something like "Excel PowerPivot Add-In (Placeholder)"
    8. I removed all shortcuts to this application and did no launching.
    9. Save the package and import it into the AppV management server
    10. Because our Excel 2010 is virtual, I opened the Excel 2010 OSD file and added the CODEBASE reference from the PowerPivot Add-In package inside of a set of DEPENDENCIES tags just after the VIRTUALENV tag.

One mistake I made at first was that the Excel 2010 OSD already contained a DEPENDENCY tag which is not that same as the DEPENDENCIES tag. 

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Redparadox Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:56 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Thanks a lot! I'll have to give this a try later. The one thing I couldn't figure out when I was messing with this was how to choose a custom install location with the MSI. It never prompted and by default installs to c:\program files\microsoft analysis services
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Just the post I hadn't been able to find. Awesome quick guide!
    Mikkel
    Friday, April 2, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

I have sequenced Office 2010 - 64 bit with PowerPivot. Application launched successfully but I am getting the licensing issue.

When I am installing Offvirt with command PROPLUS=1 then i am getting the powerpivot menu in the Excel but its asking for the Office 2010 product key

but when i am installing Offvirt with command EXCEL=1 then the licensing issue is not coming and Excel is working fine but PowerPivot menu does not appear in this case.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Chandan

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hi Chandan,

Wait for some times.The Office 2010 package takes some time to get the product key. same thing has happened to me too. I waited for about one hour and after that i was getting the pop-up to activate the product. Not the Product key Pop-up.

You can cancel that Pop-up and can continue to use the Excel Console.

Thanks

Gaurav Ranjan

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:41 PM