Error: The requesting user is not authorized to do the requested operation. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to list / create the templates for my setup. None of the library servers show in the list and the error below is in my service log file.

For testing I am running the service as a domain admin, with local admin rights and login as service rights.

The user is an Admin of the VMMSSP and listed in the admin members of SCVMM.

Lost for ideas at this point of what permissions it is looking for or mabye missing?.

----------------------------------------
    Timestamp: 7/19/2010 10:14:13 AM
    -------------------------------
    7/19/2010:10:14 AM

Message: The requesting user is not authorized to do the requested operation.

Exception Chaining not found
    Stack Trace
    ------------------------
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at Microsoft.DDTK.Common.DDTKException.BuildErrorStack()
       at Microsoft.DDTK.Common.DDTKException.FormatException()
       at Microsoft.DDTK.Common.DDTKLogger.LogException(DDTKException ddtkException)
       at Microsoft.DDTK.Common.DDTKException.LogException()
       at Microsoft.DDTK.Common.DDTKException.LogException(Exception exception)
       at Microsoft.DDTK.ProvisioningService.DDTKService.ExecuteScript(VMMScriptEnum scriptType, Dictionary`2 parameters)
       at SyncInvokeExecuteScript(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.DispatchAndReleasePump(RequestContext request, Boolean cleanThread, OperationContext currentOperationContext)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.HandleRequest(RequestContext request, OperationContext currentOperationContext)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.AsyncMessagePump(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.FramingDuplexSessionChannel.TryReceiveAsyncResult.OnReceive(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SynchronizedMessageSource.SynchronizedAsyncResult`1.CompleteWithUnlock(Boolean synchronous, Exception exception)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SynchronizedMessageSource.ReceiveAsyncResult.OnReceiveComplete(Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SessionConnectionReader.OnAsyncReadComplete(Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.StreamConnection.OnRead(IAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
       at System.Net.Security.NegotiateStream.ProcessFrameBody(Int32 readBytes, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.NegotiateStream.ReadCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.CheckCompletionBeforeNextRead(Int32 bytes)
       at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult transportResult)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionStream.ReadAsyncResult.OnAsyncReadComplete(Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnection.FinishRead()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnection.AsyncReadCallback(Boolean haveResult, Int32 error, Int32 bytesRead)
       at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
       at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

Category: Service
    Priority: -1
    EventId: 0
    Severity: Error
    Title:The requesting user is not authorized to do the requested operation.
    Machine: MANAGEMENT
    Application Domain: Microsoft.DITSC.ProvisioningService.exe
    Process Id: 3440
    Process Name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Self Service Portal 2.0\Service\Microsoft.DITSC.ProvisioningService.exe
    Win32 Thread Id: 2388
    Thread Name:
    Extended Properties:

Rob
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all your help.. 

I ended up reloading the whole system from the start and re-installed. The error is no longer showing and templates option is working.

After investigating this was a system level security issue and not a software related. I feel it may had to do with the servers membership in the domain.

Rob
    • Marked as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:49 PM
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

You need to add Service Account to DCIT Admin list.  Steps: Go to "User role" tab -> Select DCIT Admin from grid -> click on View/Edit Members link -> click on Add Member link -> Specify Service account credential -> Save and close -> Save

Thanks,

Monday, July 19, 2010 8:39 PM
  • This was already done, I am logging in OK.

The user I am using is listed.

Rob
    • Proposed as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Are you saying your issue is resolved or do you still have a problem? Please advise.

Thanks, Sai Kodi MSFT
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:55 PM
  • No, still cant list templates or add templates.
    Rob
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Please send me your log files (for both the web and the service from your installation folder). The log file names will be: VMMSSPWeb.log (for the web component) and VMMSSPService.log (for the server component).
    Thanks, Sai Kodi MSFT
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Thanks for all your help.. 

I ended up reloading the whole system from the start and re-installed. The error is no longer showing and templates option is working.

After investigating this was a system level security issue and not a software related. I feel it may had to do with the servers membership in the domain.

Rob
    • Marked as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:49 PM
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Great to hear that you have resolved the issue. The security problems I was facing on your machine was indeed due to OS reload problems then. Werid!
    Thanks, Sai Kodi MSFT
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:07 PM