Problems with printer install and Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried without success to install a HP Color Laserjet 4650 on two Vista machines. One is an upgrade Vista Ultimate from XPSP2 and other one is a preinstalled Vista Business on a Vaio notebook. Drivers have been downloaded from HP using  online assistance. The printer worked excellent with the XPSP2 machine prior to upgrade.

I recieve error code 19 with Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.

Solutions?

Best Regards

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Error code 19 indicated that the registry returned an unknown result.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey.

Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall. Restart the computer in

Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

After that, please connect the HP Color Laserjet 4650 directly to the computer then re-install the driver for HP Color Laserjet 4650.

Meanwhile ,please check whether there’s exclamation in device manager on Microsoft WPD File System Volume Driver.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for the feed-back!

The problem is solved. The printer was pointing to the wrong port (DOT4) as default and not USB. A bit strange but now it's ok. Yes, I had the exclamation in the device manager but now it's gone. The reason I don't know. I guess we are yet far from a complete Plug and Play.

Greetings from a cold Sweden

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Error code 19 indicated that the registry returned an unknown result.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey.

Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall. Restart the computer in

Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

After that, please connect the HP Color Laserjet 4650 directly to the computer then re-install the driver for HP Color Laserjet 4650.

Meanwhile ,please check whether there’s exclamation in device manager on Microsoft WPD File System Volume Driver.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for the feed-back!

The problem is solved. The printer was pointing to the wrong port (DOT4) as default and not USB. A bit strange but now it's ok. Yes, I had the exclamation in the device manager but now it's gone. The reason I don't know. I guess we are yet far from a complete Plug and Play.

Greetings from a cold Sweden

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Glad to hear it works now.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:36 AM