An error occurred while reconnecting...local device name is already in use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

having been WFH for a month I have brought my computer running Windows 10 back to the office but its not connecting to the server, it still accepts my old out of date password and wont let me connect to the mapped drives on the server (windows server 2012 r2).

I tried flushing & renewing the DNS but that has resulted in now getting the above error.

Does anyone have some ideas they can help me with to resolve this thanks.

Monday, August 10, 2020 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>> having been WFH for a month I have brought my computer running Windows 10 back to the office but its not connecting to the server

Could you please clarify more details? How did you connect to the server? VPN connection? 

Once you’re connected VPN, shared network drives and other recourse you might use should become available.

If you have connected VPN but you cannot map drive, please use cmd to remap the drive. As the steps below:

1.Copy and paste the command shown below:

net use * /delete

2.After you see that the operation is completed successfully, run the following command:

net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password

3.Make sure you replace the username and password placeholders with the correct username and password. Check to see if the problem is resolved.

This "Windows 7 Networking" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards,

Candy

"Windows 7 Networking" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 7 Networking"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please Accept as answer if the reply is helpful.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, August 17, 2020 7:17 AM