Dual Boot Windows XP hangs at welcome screen RRS feed

• Question

• Have a 300 gig hard drive with dual boot.  Had problems with this before on other systems. If you move, or resize a partition, the partition that does the job works fine, yet the other boot platform seems to hang on the welcome screen. This isn't because of some corrupt file or spyware. Windows is thinking the disks have changed and can't load properly. Does anyone know anything about fixing these boot issues when having dual boot systems.

On another system I cloned one partition to another drive. worked fine when booting, but when removed the  original drive, it did the same thing froze at the boot up welcome screen.

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:43 PM

Answers

• Rick, I'm coming at the dual boot situation from a different direction.  I've recently acquired a Windows8 system with a 2Tb HDD, and have determined that several of the older (and very important) programs I want to move over from my WinXP/SP3 machine are incompatible with the Win8 OS.  Win8 has the capability of shrinking/repartitioning the HDD so I've set up a partition into which I hope to install WinXP Pro/SP3 from an OEM CD to set up a dual-boot arrangement.  Posts on other forums indicate that installing Win8 as a dual-boot on an existing WinXP machine is easier than installing WinXP as a dual-boot on a Win8 machine.  I've also downloaded EasyBCD v2.2 which should assist in configuring the bootloader to recognize both OS's.  I've continued researching comments and suggestions on various forums to be better prepared before starting the process.  What major pitfalls should I expect once I start?  Any suggestions or insights would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

Your question really belongs in a Windows 8 forum and is actually a hardware issue instead of a software issue.

If your Windows 8 system has UEFI instead of the legacy BIOS you may not be able to install Windows XP. Most Windows 8 hardware has secure boot UEFI enabled. Windows XP cannot boot UEFI and neither can 32-bit Windows 7.

Many of the new systems/motherboards do not have hardware drivers and utility software to support Windows XP.

So, you really need to consult with the manufacturer of the system/motherboard to find out what you can actually do in your situation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, February 18, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

• Your first problems are created when you start messing with the partitions.  When dual booting the boot manager looks for a hard drive sector, not a partition.

For your second problem, the cloned partition on the other drive is still looking for the boot information from the original drive.

Probably the simplest solution is to quit messing with everything.  Is there some reason for all your tinkering around?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:07 PM
  • I do like to tinker, but I think having a dual boot system isn't much about doing out of the ordinary.

The reason I do it is because lots of times, crap (spyware, adware or even viruses) generally get in and over time can slow down your system. I like to try different software so my system is somewhat vulnerable. Thats why I like to have 2 systems. Its so helpful to cllick and boom, your back up and have all the suff ready. 

So with what you say (and what I've somewhat come to myself) I need to have some software to reset the files that are loading to properly make the appropriate changes. I think one of those files is the ntuser.dat after it loads, but I'm not sure.  Its not looking for the wrong partition but actually loading.

Any suggestions is welcome. 

Thanks.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:07 PM
  • There's nothing wrong with tinkering as long as you are prepared to live with the consequences when things crash or just don't work.

There is no inherent capability in Windows to manipulate hard drive parameters as you seem to want.  When I was triple booting with Win XP x86, Win XP x64, and Linux I was up to date on utilities that would accommodate my tinkering, but it has now been over 3 years since I have done this and don't remember what utility software I used to use.

If you find a hackers forum you can probably get all the guidance you need to fix what is now broke.  You need a utility to manipulate the partitions.  A third party boot manager would be useful since the one in Windows is not very sophisticated.

There used be tons of info on the internet related to what you want to do.  This forum is not focused on hacking or tinkering.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Rick, I'm coming at the dual boot situation from a different direction.  I've recently acquired a Windows8 system with a 2Tb HDD, and have determined that several of the older (and very important) programs I want to move over from my WinXP/SP3 machine are incompatible with the Win8 OS.  Win8 has the capability of shrinking/repartitioning the HDD so I've set up a partition into which I hope to install WinXP Pro/SP3 from an OEM CD to set up a dual-boot arrangement.  Posts on other forums indicate that installing Win8 as a dual-boot on an existing WinXP machine is easier than installing WinXP as a dual-boot on a Win8 machine.  I've also downloaded EasyBCD v2.2 which should assist in configuring the bootloader to recognize both OS's.  I've continued researching comments and suggestions on various forums to be better prepared before starting the process.  What major pitfalls should I expect once I start?  Any suggestions or insights would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:31 PM

Thanks,

Your question really belongs in a Windows 8 forum and is actually a hardware issue instead of a software issue.

If your Windows 8 system has UEFI instead of the legacy BIOS you may not be able to install Windows XP. Most Windows 8 hardware has secure boot UEFI enabled. Windows XP cannot boot UEFI and neither can 32-bit Windows 7.

Many of the new systems/motherboards do not have hardware drivers and utility software to support Windows XP.

So, you really need to consult with the manufacturer of the system/motherboard to find out what you can actually do in your situation.

Monday, February 18, 2013 11:26 AM