How can I keep my mapped drives RRS feed

• Question

• What setting/s must be on in order for my Stead State workstaion to detect a mapped drive? The drive is only used for my anti-virus program. If possible I need the drive to be there but not visible for my restricted user account to make changes. I mapped to drive and it works if I have no restrictions set, but I want to restrict this user as much as possible. This wokrstation is setup to allow access only to certain websites. I'm just having issue with the drive I have mapped for this account.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:34 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Alf717,

Based on my test, after creating a map drive, it still can be accessed when “High Restrictions” are configured. However, if a drive is hide using SteadyState, by default, access to the drive will be blocked. Thus you may choose another method to hide the map drive.

I have included a method for your reference:

1. Download and install Tweak UI:

Tweak UI is an application provided by Microsoft. With this tool, one can customize the user interface of Windows XP easily. Please download Tweak UI from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe?

Then, double-click the downloaded .exe file to install Tweak UI.

2. Use Tweak UI to hide the map drive:

------------

a. Run Tweak UI

b. Expand "My Computer", and click "Drives".

c. Uncheck the map drive.

d. Click "OK".

For your information, if you have SteadyState’s “Schedule Software Updates” and “Windows Disk Protection” (WDP) enabled, software updates can be retained automatically. However, if WDP is enabled and other update manner is used, you have to configure WDP to “Retain all changes permanently” when updating.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:27 AM

All replies

•  

In explorer (such as opening my computer) you can see the menu option under tools called map network drive.

One of the checkboxes there can persist the drive for that user account.

of course you must take the standard steps in order for the action to persist...

good luck

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Does your AV product only need access to this network drive during the update process or at all times?

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:36 AM
  •  

Hi Alf717,

Based on my test, after creating a map drive, it still can be accessed when “High Restrictions” are configured. However, if a drive is hide using SteadyState, by default, access to the drive will be blocked. Thus you may choose another method to hide the map drive.

I have included a method for your reference:

1. Download and install Tweak UI:

Tweak UI is an application provided by Microsoft. With this tool, one can customize the user interface of Windows XP easily. Please download Tweak UI from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe?

Then, double-click the downloaded .exe file to install Tweak UI.

2. Use Tweak UI to hide the map drive:

------------

a. Run Tweak UI

b. Expand "My Computer", and click "Drives".

c. Uncheck the map drive.

d. Click "OK".

For your information, if you have SteadyState’s “Schedule Software Updates” and “Windows Disk Protection” (WDP) enabled, software updates can be retained automatically. However, if WDP is enabled and other update manner is used, you have to configure WDP to “Retain all changes permanently” when updating.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:27 AM