none
ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef NULL for Existing Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have an issue, for Project Server 2010 which I cannot solve.

The issue was noticed when some SQL reports looking at the MSP_EpmProject_UserView stopped working as expected. The ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef column is NULL for all projects, apart from new ones going forward following a PWA re-provision. Those URLs are ok.

PWA in Server Settings > Project Sites, shows all the URLs! They also work, they take you to the site.

Trying to synchronize the PWA sites (even though they show), throws this queue error;

GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - SynchronizeMembershipForWssSite.SynchronizeMembershipForWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='c0118dc8-ef37-46d8-a1ce-db91e6dec178' JobUID='f08e920c-195e-4f99-ab81-0769c92071c5' ComputerName='SERVERNAME' GroupType='SynchronizeMembershipForWssSite' MessageType='SynchronizeMembershipForWssSiteMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine SERVERNAME for entries with JobUID f08e920c-195e-4f99-ab81-0769c92071c5.

I also tried a reporting database refresh (rebuild), but again, a queue error;

Reporting message processor failed:
    ReportingRDBRefreshMessageFailed (24023) - RDB area: Epm, error mode: ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors: False, refresh sleep time: 00:05:00. Details: id='24023' name='ReportingRDBRefreshMessageFailed' uid='0e7e5d1a-c8d8-4386-b545-60750629b023' QueueMessageBody='One of the stages of the Refresh operation failed' Error='RDB area: Epm, error mode: ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors: False, refresh sleep time: 00:05:00'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ReportingRefresh.ReportRefreshMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='a85fd82d-660f-4c3d-a7f3-ce212c851df7' JobUID='baadba82-b62e-4c51-a82e-053c0ed2b6e0' ComputerName='SERVERNAME' GroupType='ReportingRefresh' MessageType='ReportRefreshMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine SERVERNAME for entries with JobUID baadba82-b62e-4c51-a82e-053c0ed2b6e0.

I also tried copying the URLs in the Project Sites section, and putting back in, with no joy. Also, for example, risks and issues link back to projects ok!

I have run out of ideas, can any one help? Would really appreciate it.

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Hrishi,

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Went onsite today, and it seems to be the orphan baslines issue, which we have seen before. The symptoms are different it seems.

Basically, I had to do the following;

• Re-provision the PWA site as mentioned, this may not have been totally required, but it did allow new projects to create with their associated sites with success
    • From here, the next thing to do, was realise another issue with one project, and its orphan baslines. I have seen this before for another few clients, details here - http://robhardyuk.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/foreign-key-constraint-fk_msp_epmtaskbaseline_projectuid_taskuid-error-in-project-server-queue/ (not posted earlier, as the link was not assumed initially)
    • The above basline guid problem, seemed to prevent completion of the reporting db - it went on for a fair while but failed, with an error regarding the lock db (stated further up this post)
    • From here, when publishing projects, it still complained about site already exists when publishing the project, so not quite sorted. On the live (with non migrated databases), the site urls did show in the server settings > project sites section, but not in the ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef column in the reporting database project user view. However, these very databases migrated to TEST, showed blank values in both sections.
    • Based on the above bullet point, on test (with the blank site values in server settings > project sites), simply adding the URL for the site (which was viewable in View All Site Content), then publishing the project worked and stopped errors ocurring regarding site already exists.
    • As the above bullet point is for test, live didnt quite work like this. So the difference was to delete the PWA instance (not the databases), and web app (again, not the database), then create a new web app and pwa site all pointing at the databases we just pulled away from. From here, we had a blank URL column in server settings > project sites just like we did on test, and could then repeat the same fix, by adding the URL, then publish the project with success

I will wait for a few days before marking this topic solved e.g. any further unexpected feedback. The client by the way was only Feb 2012, so the orphan basline issue is known at this update level, so we will soon upgrade them to a later pack e.g. Dec 2012 or similar.

• Marked as answer by Rob Hardy Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:34 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 7:56 PM

All replies

• Additionally, I DB migrated to the test, and had SIMILAR results, the URLS do not show in the Project Sites section however (the sites are accessible in View All Site Content).

If I try and add the URL taken from the site in view all site content, I get the error;

The Web site does not exist or is not configured for Project Server. Enter a Web site that has been extended with a Project Server compatible template.

Any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Above error is due to missing project sites reference from the database

When you provisioned the PWA site did you use old content database?

Execute following query on content database associated with PWA site

SELECT FULLURL from webs

Do you see all your project sites here?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

I do see them all indeed, they all return with that query?

Rob

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:52 PM
  • That's good.

Could you please elaborate about the  "re-provision" part from the first statement. Did you provision PWA site with different name?

Did you try to perform RDB refresh after farm reboot?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Hi, Sorry so basically, as part of testing, I migrated live to test, then checked things out and noticed I could create new projects and the URLs for the sites would populate the reporting db view mentioned. So, after, on live, I went to central admin, and the PWA managed service application, then simply hit Edit > Save, which sets the PWA instance off to re-provision. So I didn't change any references like db names, site managed path etc. The issue come about randomly last week we understand.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Thanks.

So when you migrated live to test, did you use 4 project databases and 1 content database, and also did you use same name of PWA site as live?

What do you see when you try to bulk update?

Do you see previous web application with some UID's?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Hi So when I db migrate I always use the 5 db technique - especially here as its the project URL's that seem to be wrong. I did try bulk update on live, there are two listed, running both - one does nothing, and one tries to go through most/all the sites, but just fails :( Thanks for the fast replies by the way.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:17 PM
  • so issue is in TEST or Live?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Both, only subtle difference is the server settings > project sites bit on test doesn't show any URL's. live does. Both instances fail to show any historic project URL's in the SQL view
    Friday, February 8, 2013 9:28 PM
  • For live,  what error do you see when you publish the project plan?

In test, since there are no URL listed as Project Sites, clearly indicates relinking did not occurred. Are you able to open project schedule in PWA via Project Center?

Is it possible for you to discard test PWA site, delete and restore database and try to re-provision PWA site.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:41 PM
  • So following the "re-provision", if I create a NEW project now on live, its fine. Site creates, and also the URL from that, appears in the ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef column.

I guess the problem is with live, and when fixed, we should be able to migrate over to test ok. When running the Bulk Update Project Sites on Live, it puts these errors in the queue;

Web does not exist:
    WSSWebDoesNotExist (16405). Details: id='16405' name='WSSWebDoesNotExist' uid='7c7fbd82-5a04-4ab3-8f2a-92b914cef946' projectUID='31ee44ba-11ed-4e10-b43e-fd9823f136f2' wssFullUrl='/PWA/Birmingham Courtyard and Security Improvements'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - UpdateProjectSitePath.UpdateProjectSitePathMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='d5124923-52f1-4430-b253-55e2d16bc300' JobUID='61878907-2ada-4b2f-8adf-d1057d1ecbf5' ComputerName='SERVERNAME' GroupType='UpdateProjectSitePath' MessageType='UpdateProjectSitePathMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine SERVERNAME for entries with JobUID 61878907-2ada-4b2f-8adf-d1057d1ecbf5.

They clearly do exist though, I can access the sites!!!!! The ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef does have no record though.

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:53 PM
  • I know I am asking lot of questions but I have to :-) , Since I am not able to understand if you were working in TEST, how live is giving you all these error, am I missing anything?

Is it because you just did Edit PWA site in live? are we taking about 3 different issues

1. Project Site issue in TEST

2. Project Site issue in Live

3 RDB refresh failure not sure if it is in TEST  or LIVE

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Its ok, questions are good.

So test isn't really of interest, as it was an attempt to see if a DB migration would recreate the issue.

So the focus here, is on the live.

The RDB refresh error, is in live.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:06 PM
  • So here is what my understanding is about your issue in Live

You have PWA site with Project Sites associated. You can see Project Sites listed with respective project plans at PWA>>Server Settings>>Project Sites.

When you try to Sync permissions get following error

GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - SynchronizeMembershipForWssSite.SynchronizeMembershipForWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' ......

Actions

You tried to Editing PWA site. Bulk update, Bulk update gives error Web does not exist

Next Action

Did you try to publish the project plan and see what errors are displayed in project queue?

Do you see Project sites at PWA>>Site Actions >> Site Settings >> Sites and Workspaces

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Hi Hrishi

So, if I open one of the 'existing' projects in the live system, and publish its schedule, it tries to create a project site (even though one exists!), and this error appears in the queue;

Given project already has a web associated with it:
    WSSProjectAlreadyHasSpWeb (16404). Details: id='16404' name='WSSProjectAlreadyHasSpWeb' uid='ba6b06af-8bfa-4d0f-a47e-34922b59e2bd' projectUID='873b9d7a-bab9-4be0-9690-d44330d46387'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - CreateWssSite.CreateWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='bbef0d29-49e5-44ea-b982-3cfbc67e292c' JobUID='bff918d6-b6c3-480c-8291-64b92ceed0c4' ComputerName='SERVERNAME' GroupType='CreateWssSite' MessageType='CreateWssSiteMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine SERVERNAME for entries with JobUID bff918d6-b6c3-480c-8291-64b92ceed0c4.

Afterwards to be certain, I can confirm, I could open the original site.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Tried the following;

1.Create and Provision temporary PWA
    2.Back up Reporting DB from this
    3.Delete temporary PWA
    4.Restore a backup of the main content DB and attach to web application
    5.Restore Archive, Draft and Published from normal (broken) environment and a the new Reporting db from step 2
    6.Set the ProjectCollectionGUID in the reporting to match the Draft and Published
    7.Provision PWA
    8. Run Reporting DB Refresh

This doesn't work neither (still no URLS in the ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef column) I get this error post RDB refresh;

Reporting message processor failed:
    ReportingRDBRefreshMessageFailed (24023) - RDB area: Epm, error mode: ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors: False, refresh sleep time: 00:05:00. Details: id='24023' name='ReportingRDBRefreshMessageFailed' uid='b39922e7-9580-4586-9ffc-8ac91a59e500' QueueMessageBody='One of the stages of the Refresh operation failed' Error='RDB area: Epm, error mode: ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors: False, refresh sleep time: 00:05:00'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ReportingRefresh.ReportRefreshMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='556bb91e-4e80-4bbc-82c6-7325f529adf4' JobUID='bad13956-97d1-4f4c-9eb7-8cf978182709' ComputerName='SERVERNAME' GroupType='ReportingRefresh' MessageType='ReportRefreshMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine SERVERNAME for entries with JobUID bad13956-97d1-4f4c-9eb7-8cf978182709.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Are you preforming above RDB refresh in non live environment?

" ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors" indicates to be there is inactive enterprise global in the database.

Try after re-saving each and every custom field and lookup table.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Hi Hrishi

Just tried resaving all custom fields, with no joy unfortunately. Still get the same error after RDB refresh

Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Going by the error you get when you try to add the site URL manually, Project Server thinks these sites are not based on a Project Server Project Site template. Have these sites got any of the default lists / fields removed or have they been modified? What is the history to these databases?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Hi Paul,

We dont know of any strange history yet. I did manage to get as far as doing the following (on test, which has similar symptons with the RDB refresh)

1. Backing up all projects to the Archive database
    2. Deleting them from Draft and Published
    3. Running the Reporting Database Refresh, worked!

What I didnt get chance to do (got disconnected from the environment), was restore one from Archive, back into the published... I got my fingers crossed it works, or at least we can find, one project is causing this issue...

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hey Rob,

I don't think so deleted project from draft and published database is a right approach, there are ways to replace reporting database. By the way how did it go?

In your earlier response you mentioned that when you try to create new site for existing project (for which site is exist in the content database but not linked in Project Sites page), you were getting site already exist. I have an action plan where test with only one site. Remove reference  of the site from Published database and then try to relink the site by  bulk update, during the testing it may fail for all sites except the one which we are targeting.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Went onsite today, and it seems to be the orphan baslines issue, which we have seen before. The symptoms are different it seems.

Basically, I had to do the following;

• Re-provision the PWA site as mentioned, this may not have been totally required, but it did allow new projects to create with their associated sites with success
    • From here, the next thing to do, was realise another issue with one project, and its orphan baslines. I have seen this before for another few clients, details here - http://robhardyuk.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/foreign-key-constraint-fk_msp_epmtaskbaseline_projectuid_taskuid-error-in-project-server-queue/ (not posted earlier, as the link was not assumed initially)
    • The above basline guid problem, seemed to prevent completion of the reporting db - it went on for a fair while but failed, with an error regarding the lock db (stated further up this post)
    • From here, when publishing projects, it still complained about site already exists when publishing the project, so not quite sorted. On the live (with non migrated databases), the site urls did show in the server settings > project sites section, but not in the ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef column in the reporting database project user view. However, these very databases migrated to TEST, showed blank values in both sections.
    • Based on the above bullet point, on test (with the blank site values in server settings > project sites), simply adding the URL for the site (which was viewable in View All Site Content), then publishing the project worked and stopped errors ocurring regarding site already exists.
    • As the above bullet point is for test, live didnt quite work like this. So the difference was to delete the PWA instance (not the databases), and web app (again, not the database), then create a new web app and pwa site all pointing at the databases we just pulled away from. From here, we had a blank URL column in server settings > project sites just like we did on test, and could then repeat the same fix, by adding the URL, then publish the project with success

I will wait for a few days before marking this topic solved e.g. any further unexpected feedback. The client by the way was only Feb 2012, so the orphan basline issue is known at this update level, so we will soon upgrade them to a later pack e.g. Dec 2012 or similar.

• Marked as answer by Rob Hardy Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:34 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Thanks for update Rob.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:58 PM
  • I have wrote about my experience in a slightely tidier form here;

http://robhardyuk.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/projectworkspaceinternalhref-null-for-existing-projects/

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:15 AM