none
Task enterprise custom fields missing data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

My customer is facing the following issue:

1. He creates a custom enterprise field "Decision" for entity "Task"

2. Adds this field to the view "My work" > "My assignments"

3. Opens random project in Project Prof and assigns a number of tasks for a user A

4. User A opens his tasks via the "Reminders" web part on the main page and changes the value for this newly created enterprise field "Decision", then clicks Save, then Send (update for the tasks)

5. User A's manager opens his approvals and accepts changes. He even additionally opens the project in Project Prof, saves and publishes the project

The issue is as follows:

If after approval the customer opens the "My assignments" view - he can see the records for the field "Decision" in this view, BUT if he opens e.g. the project in Project Prof and adds the enterprise custom field "Decision" as a column, the columns are empty for all the tasks. Moreover if he adds any values for this column, saves and published the project, these values appear different in different views.

Is this behavior expected or by design? Or is there any algorithm to get the data displayed correctly?

Thank you beforehand for any advice or hint!

Monday, July 9, 2012 3:43 PM

Answers

• Thanks Paul for your reply! I appreciate it.

Here is the reply given by Project Server team:

This is by design.  The resource is setting a custom field value to his assignment.  Depending which view you are looking at you are probably viewing tasks.  The challenge here is that the task could have many assignments and each resource could choose a different value for Decision – who wins?  Even with a single assignment on a task we do not roll up the assignment value to the task level.  If you look at the usage views in Project Pro then you should see the values, and they can be available via reporting too if you add them explicitly to a cube.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

When checking the Decision Task level field confirm you are checking the Task level or the Assignment level value. When the user updates this field from the Tasks page they will be updating the Assignment value and not the Task level field. To check the Assignment level field in project proj, open the project, split the view and look at the Task Usage view and add in the Decision field then select the task from the Gantt Chart (the Task Usage view will update). You should see the value that the user set on the tasks page. Details on task and assignment level fields and how you can get them to show the same values can be seen here:

http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/projectserver-task-level-and-resource-level-custom-field-values-in-pwa-assignment-views-ps2007-ps2010-msproject/

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Thanks Paul for your reply! I appreciate it.

Here is the reply given by Project Server team:

This is by design.  The resource is setting a custom field value to his assignment.  Depending which view you are looking at you are probably viewing tasks.  The challenge here is that the task could have many assignments and each resource could choose a different value for Decision – who wins?  Even with a single assignment on a task we do not roll up the assignment value to the task level.  If you look at the usage views in Project Pro then you should see the values, and they can be available via reporting too if you add them explicitly to a cube.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:54 PM