none
Applications in Task Sequences ALL Install without being chosen RRS feed

• Question

• When I first started using MDT to deploy Windows 7 via bare metal or network, the task sequences only installed applications that you had selected during the deployment.  Now I have a problem with all applications being installed without having been selected.  I notice this only happens when deploying to an UEFI system; in an MBR system the task sequences performs the application rollout without error.  All applications are in the "Applications" folder of the MDT share. I also have the "Install Multiple Applications" task sequence before each individual "Install a Single Application" task sequence which I hadn't ever had to resort to with MBR systems (I'm assuming that the UEFI systems have caused these problems for me with MDT). I have heard things about creating application rules and/or setting up an "Applications" folder and a "MandatoryApplications" folder.  Can anyone explain this so that I can get back to work?  Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by Romeo Void Monday, June 3, 2019 8:41 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 8:31 PM

All replies

• When I first started using MDT to deploy Windows 7 via bare metal or network, the task sequences only installed applications that you had selected during the deployment.  Now I have a problem with all applications being installed without having been selected.  I notice this only happens when deploying to an UEFI system; in an MBR system the task sequences performs the application rollout without error.  All applications are in the "Applications" folder of the MDT share. I also have the "Install Multiple Applications" task sequence before each individual "Install a Single Application" task sequence which I hadn't ever had to resort to with MBR systems (I'm assuming that the UEFI systems have caused these problems for me with MDT). I have heard things about creating application rules and/or setting up an "Applications" folder and a "MandatoryApplications" folder.  Can anyone explain this so that I can get back to work?  Thanks in advance!
    I now have to expand the question somewhat.  I still have the concerns I first posed but additionally I need to choose between three different versions of Microsoft Office and would also know how to differentiate between 32-Bit applications and 64-Bit applications using custom .ini and MandatoryApplications.  Hope this makes some sense...   Thanks in advance again.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 8:40 PM
  • Ok, had to deduce this to get results; ah, trial and error...

I a still disappointed that Microsoft hasn't provided ACCURATE documentation or even a changelog.  I remember when MDT first came out and I never had to do more than populate my apps and select them within the task sequence wizard.  I was able to pick and choose among the apps back then.  I am also surprised that no one else AFAIK has commented on this.

Basically the best bet now is to populate your Applications folder with the apps you want, BUT, instead of invoking them through the task sequence wizard, use the CustomSettings.ini to specify which apps are MandatoryApplications (which will always be installed) and which are Applications (that give you a choice to install by checking or unchecking the associated checkbox in the Applications screen of the deployment).

As I am using the TaskSequenceID as a priority along with Default, I have a working network share and bare mjetal installation files that work as they should with the exception that some apps that I have flagged as Mandatory Applications for the TaskSequenceID are still able to be unchecked or are not checked initially.  For the most part it works.  Will post my actual customsettings.ini in the near future.

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Strange. The optimal way for installations is standard:

Add all of your applications into MDT\Applications. For those you want to auto-install without having to check, just hide and add those apps to your TS. The rest, just leave unhidden and you can checkbox which ones you want.

Monday, July 1, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Will try that when I get a moment, but it's a longer process IMHO than just specifying MandatoryApplications and Applications within the settings.ini file.  Again, will post the settings.ini file when I have a minute.
    • Edited by Romeo Void Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:42 PM