none
Access lost to backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• Using Windows 10, Settings, I have inadvertently lost access to my backup external drive. I am the owner and administrator of my pc and the Seagate FreeAgent, where my backups are stored. Through the Update and Security, Backup Options, Advanced Settings, I changed the Security from allowing Everyone access to not allowing Everyone access. I thought that I didn't want everyone to have access to my backup. Now, I do not have access and no more backups are occurring daily. How do I change back or to renter my credentials so that I have access and the backups occur again?

This is my first time using TechNet. How do I view any replies? Do I just come back to this Windows 10 Security forum and the same title of this thread? My email is removed

VenturaRichard

Monday, September 19, 2016 4:43 PM

Answers

• AFAIK=As Far As I Know

You can format it yourself.

To format

Win key + "X">disk management>right click the drive>click format

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Not sure if you still can see your hard drive in File explorer.

If you can, have you tried to take access permission when right clicking the drive in Explorer and under security tab, adding you full control of this drive?

In addition, would you please let me know your certain module of your Hard drive??

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:47 AM
    Owner

All replies

• If you have denied everyone AFAIK there is no way to gain access other than formatting the drive and starting all over again

Monday, September 19, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Zigzag,

What is AFAIK?

Does that mean that everything will be lost on the external drive?

How can it be reformatted?

Do I have to contact Seagate to have it reformatted or take it to a computer shop?

VenturaRichard

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:12 PM
  • AFAIK=As Far As I Know

You can format it yourself.

To format

Win key + "X">disk management>right click the drive>click format

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Not sure if you still can see your hard drive in File explorer.

If you can, have you tried to take access permission when right clicking the drive in Explorer and under security tab, adding you full control of this drive?

In addition, would you please let me know your certain module of your Hard drive??

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:47 AM
    Owner
  • Kate Li,

My backup files on Seagate are gone. Don't know what happened. Guess I'll start over by copying and pasting instead of backing up files.

Thanks, VenturaRichard

Monday, October 3, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Kate Li, et.al.,

I only have access to 500MB of the 320GB Seagate model ST303204FDA1E1-RK. The majority of space is being taken up by the hidden backup or copied files for 2 old computers that used Windows XP, and my current Windows 10 Laptop. Yesterday I copied some files to it so there is only 5 MB free space now. It has an 8MB buffer.

So, I still need to find out how to access the hidden (encrypted?) files, if that is possible.

This external hard drive is really not useful in this state, now that it is full. It cannot even be used for automatic backups.

Thanks, VenturaRichard

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:57 PM