Accessing Office 365 Email from SPLA Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any technical reason why an spla-licensed version of Outlook 2016 would not be able to access an office 365 E3 email account?

Also, if anyone knows, can locally installed and licensed spla Office programs access Office 365 accounts? IE, if we are paying both for the office 365 license and the spla user license, can they work and play well together?

Thank you.

Jeremy Heymann Market Mentor Online

Monday, July 20, 2020 4:24 AM

Answers

• OK, I thought the above was a solution, but it turned out that that only worked temporarily. This is the solution I finally discovered.

First, one of the sites I found on the internet recommended this tool:

https://diagnostics.office.com

I did the diagnostic for Outlook, and said it wouldn't open. It went thru a bunch of stuff, and found (like I suspected) that there was a problem with the autodiscovery. It said to check with my web hosting company about <website>/autodiscovery/autodiscovery.xml. It also gave a suggested workaround, by adding a key IgnoreHTTPSRootDomain to the HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Autodiscovery. Creating this dword value at 1 allowed the autodiscovery to work. I contacted our web hosting company, and they said that there was a mis-configuration (email set to Local as opposed to Remote in cpanel). After that was changed, the autodiscovery started working.

I think this is the "final" answer. Thank you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeremy ,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

>> Is there any technical reason why an spla-licensed version of Outlook 2016 would not be able to access an office 365 E3 email account?
    To confirm if your issue is related to specific Outlook desktop client or specific office 365 email account, if possible, please try to add other office 365 email accounts to other spla-licensed version of Outlook clients and see if the issue has any difference.

Besides, since the limitation of the test environment, we can not do tests in spla-licensed versions of Outlook client. However, as I know, usually license of Office programs will not influence the use of email account. To conduct further researches on your issue, please try the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to see if it helps.

If the issue still continues, the issue might indeed be related to your license. Since here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client and we know little about Office license. To better solve your issue, it is suggested to contact the local sales or license support team to get the detailed answer based on your actual production environment. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 20, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Thank you. Can anyone provide guidance on if there are some Office 365 licenses whose email accounts can't be accessed via an Outlook client? How about what versions support pop/imap access?

Also, can anyone point me to the proper server name for Office 365 Imap access?

Thank you.

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:06 PM
  • Hi Jeremy ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Can anyone provide guidance on if there are some Office 365 licenses whose email accounts can't be accessed via an Outlook client? How about what versions support pop/imap access?
    I really want to help you about that, however, as mentioned before, we know little about Office license. It is suggested to contact the local sales or license support team to get the detailed information.

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Sunday, July 26, 2020 10:38 AM
  • For someone else who might run into this, I have discovered some more. It looks like Outlook 2016 CAN connect to O365, but for some reason the autodiscovery isn't working for us. I suspect that the problem is with the auto discovery setup, within O365, but I don't know for sure. Office 365 support tells me that there was some issue with a recent update, and they are working on it. I'm not sure I believe that, but we'll see.

In the mean time, I have uncovered a work around, assuming access to Outlook 2013. The process I used is:

1. Open the control panel applet Mail-32 on an Office 2013 system, using C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\mlcfg32.cpl.
    2. Manually add an Exchange email account, using outlook.office365.com for the mail server. In that entry, I used the more settings option, and set the following:

Security/Logon Network Security: Anonymous Authentication

Connection/Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP

Connection/Use this URL: outlook.office365.com

Connection/Only Connect To Proxy Servers That Have This Name: msstd:outlook.com

Connection/On Fast Networks, Connect using HTTP First

Connection/Basic Authentication

1. Then, I exported the register key HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles\<profile name>.
    2. Edited the saved registry file from above, changing 15.0 to 16.0.
    3. Logged into the Office 2016 system, and imported the registry file created in step 4.
    4. Opened C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\mlcfg32.cpl. Looked in the profiles, and made sure the new profile was set to Always Use This, and I tested the profile to make sure it was acceptable. It was.
    5. Finally, I opened Outlook 2016, and the account came right up, including calendar and everything.

This has worked for both E3 and Business Essentials Office accounts.

As a test, I did try uninstalling Office 2016, and installing Office 365 from the portal.office365.com site. That worked by itself. Not sure if this is just because the version of Office provided by Office 365 is different from Office 2016 or what. 

I've tried this from two different systems and it works on both, and the "normal" way didn't work on either.

For what it is worth...

Sunday, July 26, 2020 3:32 PM
  • Hi Jeremy ,

Thanks for your sharing.

By the way, would you mind marking your reply as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? 

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:06 AM
  • OK, I thought the above was a solution, but it turned out that that only worked temporarily. This is the solution I finally discovered.

First, one of the sites I found on the internet recommended this tool:

https://diagnostics.office.com

I did the diagnostic for Outlook, and said it wouldn't open. It went thru a bunch of stuff, and found (like I suspected) that there was a problem with the autodiscovery. It said to check with my web hosting company about <website>/autodiscovery/autodiscovery.xml. It also gave a suggested workaround, by adding a key IgnoreHTTPSRootDomain to the HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Autodiscovery. Creating this dword value at 1 allowed the autodiscovery to work. I contacted our web hosting company, and they said that there was a mis-configuration (email set to Local as opposed to Remote in cpanel). After that was changed, the autodiscovery started working.

I think this is the "final" answer. Thank you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:58 PM