none
Sample Reports - Data Refresh Issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • 1 SharePoint Server Farm(2010 - 14.0.4763.1000) - WS2008R2
    1 SQL Server(2008 R2) - WS2008R2
    They VM's and meet the hardware requirements.

    Issue
    When opening one of the Sample Reports from the BI Center an error occurs:

    An error occurred while accessing application id ProjectServerApplication from Secure Store Service. The following connections failed to refresh:
    
    Project Server - Timesheet Data
    
    Learn more about data refresh

    ULS Logs (Ones I found related when the error occurred.)
    * ValidateCredentialClaims - Access Denied: Claims stored in the credentials did not match with the group claim for a group app.
    * The Microsoft Secure Store Service application Secure Store Service failed to retrieve credentials. The error returned was 'Access is denied.'. For more information, see the Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies Software Development Kit (SDK).
    * GetCredentials failed with the following exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Office.SecureStoreService.Server.SecureStoreServiceFault]: Access is denied. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.Office.SecureStoreService.Server.SecureStoreServiceFault).

    Steps I've taken
    I've followed all the steps from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx, repeated and reviewed all my settings more than a handful of times. I've also done a handful of successful installs/configs following the documentation here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197479.aspx, which includes the above.

    I'm missing something, I just don't know what. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

  • The message is basically saying that it either can't find the ProjectServerApplication Target Application Profile in Secure Store or the credentials on the profile aren't set.

    In Secure Store, verify that there is an Application Profile with the name ProjectServerApplication.

    Then verify that the credentials are set and that the credentials have at least DB_DataReader rights on the Reporting Database.

    Hope this helps!

    --Treb

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:20 PM
    Moderator
  • I hope you already followed, but double check the following:

    Configure Secure Store Service settings: (Steps 8,9 &10)

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx#section4

    Is that issue is with one report or all?

    Plan the Secure Store Service (SharePoint Server 2010)

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee806889.aspx

     


    Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:51 PM
    Moderator
  • Treb and Sriram,

    Yes, there is an application profile for ProjectServerApplication.

    As specified in the documentation from those links I provided:
    I created a report viewers group and a datareader account
    Gave the group db_datareader permissions to the project server reporting database and added the datareader account to the group.
    The credentials are set to the datareader account(I've also tried the Farm Admin account and my App pool account.).

     

    Oh, I forgot to mention, but I'm sure it's not the issue. Project Server is running in compatibility mode. I used 'blank' 2007 databases to get it into compatibility mode.

     

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Does this behavior repro from multiple accounts?  Is the account from which you are accessing the report authorized to use the Target Application Profile?  I've hit this where I forgot to add the admin to the list and then it wouldn't render for me.

    --Treb

    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:13 PM
    Moderator
  • Try this: In manage service applications, select secure store service, click on properties

    Ensure that the Application pool is running on appropriate account.

    I still have doubt, whether you followed these steps below.

    Open secure store service, select the "ProjectServerApplication" TargetApplicationID and click Set credentials. (set the account)

    Later select the "ProjectServerApplication" TargetApplicationID and click Set Permissions. configure "Target Application Administrators" and "Members"

    Try to open the Excel application instead of accessing the report in the browser.


    Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:14 AM
    Moderator
  • Sriram is pointing to a situation which we ran into in Beta.  I believe I covered this in my BI session at Project Conference, where the credentials used by Excel Services and Secure Store should be the same or you can get into issues where the SSS database can't be read by Excel.  It's something to check.

    Also, I've not seen a response to my question as to whether this repros from multiple user accounts.  Can you confirm?

    Also, have you changed the ULS logging for Excel Services and Secure Store to verbose and tried it again?  This could yield some additional clues.

    --Treb

    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:27 PM
    Moderator
  • Yes, on all accounts. And Yes they're authorized.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Jason:

    I have noted that sometimes the Secure Store Service can get AFU from too much tinkering. With a clear head, I suggest that you try deleting the Secure Store Target Application and then Delete the Secure Store Service Application. With that done, recreate the Secure Store Service and work all the steps again carefully.

    Couldn't hurt!


    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:53 PM
    Moderator