Export-Mailbox (to PST file) cmdlet - does it literally (actually) move - or COPY - the content of a mailbox? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tested this and as far as I can see, the action taken is in fact a copy operation:

The messages are copied to the PST file.

If I logon to OWA (for example), the messages are still there.

This should be the case, unless I add a parameter that executes some delete option.

Correct?

Lacking a robust archiving system, I'm toying with the idea of exporting to PST and then storing on some sort of media.

Of course, I do not want to literally MOVE the messages out of the mailbox but merely COPY them.

In the case of former employees though, it should not matter anyway.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:22 PM

Answers

• It Copies Only.

Just as You Export via Outloook

Regards

Satheshwaran Manoharan

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Yes you are correct and as for deleting the content IF this is desired it depends on the the version of Exchange you are using, i.e. in Exchange 2010 SP1 and greater you cannot delete content post export you must instead use a seperate action of Search-Mailbox with the -DeleteContent parameter.

If you are going to use this as some sort of archiving be aware that you cannot append to PSTs therefore you will need to use a date range to create multiple PSTs at different archive point in times and you will very likely have some overlap between PST's

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:39 AM

All replies

• It Copies Only.

Just as You Export via Outloook

Regards

Satheshwaran Manoharan

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Yes you are correct and as for deleting the content IF this is desired it depends on the the version of Exchange you are using, i.e. in Exchange 2010 SP1 and greater you cannot delete content post export you must instead use a seperate action of Search-Mailbox with the -DeleteContent parameter.

If you are going to use this as some sort of archiving be aware that you cannot append to PSTs therefore you will need to use a date range to create multiple PSTs at different archive point in times and you will very likely have some overlap between PST's

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:39 AM