Problem creating Outlook profile from terminal server (Exchange 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2007 SP3 with update rollup 9 installed.

When trying to create a new Outlook profile from a Windows 2008 R2 terminal server with Outlook 2007 we get a logon Window, when we enter the right credentials we get the following error message:

"Outlook could not log on. Check to make sure you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

When I click the Ok button I get a Windows where I can enter the Exchange server name and mailbox name, when I click the check name button I get the same error message as above.

The terminal server is fully up-to-date, with the latest Office updates.

When I try to configure an Outlook profile from a Windows XP or 7 PC it works without any problems, all the settings are configured automatically through autodiscover.

I checked the network settings of the terminal server, it has the right gateway and DNS servers configured, there's no proxy server configured.

What could cause this, before whe didn't experience this problem on the same terminal server.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:15 AM

Answers

• Just installed a new server with 2008R2 with Office 2007 (remote desktop server role not installed).

So it seems to affect only Windows Server 2008R2.

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, February 22, 2013 6:25 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi
       Can you create same user outlook profile on windows 7 PC?
       Yes: It is outlook client issue. Outlook forum suggestion is to repair outlook.
       http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officesetupdeploylegacy/thread/71828653-4b61-4e12-92bf-7082f5157e6f/
       You can post your issue to outlook forum.
        No: We need event error on exchange server.

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

Just tested it on a Windows 7 computer with Office 2010 and Windows 8 computer with Office 2013, I have no problems creating an Outlook profile on these computers.

I ran the Office diagnostics, no problems were found, I also did an Office repair and rebooted the server, but I'm still not able creating an Outlook profile.

I will post this issue on the Outlook forum.

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Just installed a new server with 2008R2 with Office 2007 (remote desktop server role not installed).

So it seems to affect only Windows Server 2008R2.

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, February 22, 2013 6:25 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 10:53 AM