none
How to Reset Windows 10 Password with no Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am helping a good friend to reset her windows 10 password. Her husband setup the computer a few years ago and has passed away. The password was auto set and for some reason she said, she needs to enter her password. Carol does not have the Windows 10 disk and does not know if Harry had setup a USB.  I have tried everything and I am lost, there is also no Admin setup it appears. What can I do?Thank you

Lee Barron

Sunday, January 31, 2016 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have no another administrator account in the system, you cannot sign in Windows to reset it.

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Reset your password webpage.

If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in, you'll need to reinstall Windows.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:35 AM

All replies

• Sunday, January 31, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

If you have no another administrator account in the system, you cannot sign in Windows to reset it.

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Reset your password webpage.

If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in, you'll need to reinstall Windows.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:50 AM
  •  No the issue at hand has not been resolved. There is only one login account, No Password hint tab and I have tried to create an Administrator, but the laptop wants me still log into the account I am having problems with before I can go anywhere. If I reinstall, she is afraid she'll loose important information she needs.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

Lee Barron

L. Barron III

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:47 PM
  • One of the usual go-to's for performing the reset: https://4sysops.com/archives/forgot-the-administrator-password-the-sticky-keys-trick/

Methods like the one in the referenced article are not officially supported by Microsoft, hence the MSFT reps above have not mentioned it. Also, when using full-disk encryption (e.g. Bitlocker), these methods of resetting the password do not work.

Note that there are inherent risks involved when booting into another operating system and modifying files, so if you decide to try this method, proceed with caution.

You can get a copy of Windows 10 media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 in order to get it onto a bootable USB or DVD.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:25 PM