Move-VM to a Cluster with a Different named Switch not possible through powershell? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

You can use –CompatibilityReport parameter to change the vSwitch when migrating. This blog post might help:

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/using-compare-vm/

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by mikkelknudsen Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use –CompatibilityReport parameter to change the vSwitch when migrating. This blog post might help:

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by mikkelknudsen Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Well, that seems to be rather complicated :(

EDIT : Could this be used between two Trusted Domains in different Forests?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you should be able to use Move-VM cmdled to migrate between different Forests, but I don't think it will work directly cluster to cluster (maybe I'm wrong), you will probably need to remove the VM's from cluster and then migrate (host to host).

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you should be able to use Move-VM cmdled to migrate between different Forests, but I don't think it will work directly cluster to cluster (maybe I'm wrong), you will probably need to remove the VM's from cluster and then migrate (host to host).

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

So, cross forest - Move-VM should work from Hyper-V host to Hyper-V host, correct?

Which kind of permissions does this require on the hosts itself? Do I need to make a Service Account for alle hosts in both domains and assign it special permissions?

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Correct. You can use Credssp authentication, and run the PowerShell cmdlet from your source Host. You will need an administrator account of your source and destination Hyper-V Host. Use -DestinationCredential parameter to specify credentials for your destination host. I think that is all you need. 

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:53 AM