RDS Web Access and Broker with NLB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Hope someone can just confirm this for me. 

I have an RDS VDI deployment setup and running. I would like to setup NLB to improve stability and up time. 

The way I see it, for the Web access servers I should build two servers and set them up using NLB. Can someone confirm this is the best method to use?.

I also want to setup the RDS broker in HA / NLB. I can see how to set up the Broker in HA and have done this without issue. What I also want to know is should I also setup the Broker with NLB. I cannot see any documentation on this and am not sure if this setup is best practice or will create an issue. So what is the best way to setup RDS Broker for HA / NLB. 

I will also setup a Gateway and separate web access for external clients, but at this stage not worried if this is not HA / NLB.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Craig

Craig G

Monday, September 9, 2019 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>for the Web access servers I should build two servers and set them up using NLB. Can someone confirm this is the best method to use?.
    Load balancing is used to make RD Web Access servers highly available. You can use NLB, hardware-based load balancing, or DNS round robin.

NLB is included in Windows Server operating systems, it is effectively free. However, there are a few drawbacks to using NLB:
    1. It is not service aware. NLB is capable of identifying when a server is no longer responding but not when a service is no longer responding. 
    2. Scalability is limited. NLB supports up to 32 nodes in a cluster, but performance peaks at 8 nodes.
    3. Network hardware configuration may be required. Some network switches need additional configuration to work with NLB. 

Rather, hardware load balancers are more scalable than NLB, but they also are significantly more expensive.

>What I also want to know is should I also setup the Broker with NLB
    Multiple RD Connection Broker servers are working in Active\Active mode with single SQL database. Configure DNS RRs for multi RD CB should be working.

>I will also setup a Gateway and separate web access for external clients
    Article “Add high availability to the RD Web and Gateway web front” can be considered:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-rdweb-gateway-ha

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Craig Garland Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for you information. 

In regards to RD CB in Active / Active how will the DNS round robin work if one server is down. Will it just take longer to connect or will people have to refresh, or is the RD CD design to work with DNS round robin and as such have no issue. 

Thanks for confirming RD Web access, I am in the process of setting this up.

Craig 

Hi Craig,

The client will try to connect to the first ip address (returned from the DNS lookup) and if that server is down, it will connect to the next ip address after the connection attempt times out.  Since the order of ip addresses returned to the clients varies (as Eve mentioned), the result is that some connection attempts will connect as normal whereas others will have an additional delay.

What you want to do is implement a set of policies and procedures for monitoring your environment and responding to failures as soon as possible.  For example, you may want to remove a failed broker's ip address from DNS right away, remove the broker VM from the RDS deployment, re-create/repair the VM, add the broker back to RDS deployment, add DNS entry back.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:08 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>for the Web access servers I should build two servers and set them up using NLB. Can someone confirm this is the best method to use?.
    Load balancing is used to make RD Web Access servers highly available. You can use NLB, hardware-based load balancing, or DNS round robin.

NLB is included in Windows Server operating systems, it is effectively free. However, there are a few drawbacks to using NLB:
    1. It is not service aware. NLB is capable of identifying when a server is no longer responding but not when a service is no longer responding. 
    2. Scalability is limited. NLB supports up to 32 nodes in a cluster, but performance peaks at 8 nodes.
    3. Network hardware configuration may be required. Some network switches need additional configuration to work with NLB. 

Rather, hardware load balancers are more scalable than NLB, but they also are significantly more expensive.

>What I also want to know is should I also setup the Broker with NLB
    Multiple RD Connection Broker servers are working in Active\Active mode with single SQL database. Configure DNS RRs for multi RD CB should be working.

>I will also setup a Gateway and separate web access for external clients
    Article “Add high availability to the RD Web and Gateway web front” can be considered:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-rdweb-gateway-ha

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Craig Garland Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi Eve,

In regards to RD CB in Active / Active how will the DNS round robin work if one server is down. Will it just take longer to connect or will people have to refresh, or is the RD CD design to work with DNS round robin and as such have no issue. 

Craig 

Craig G

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

The round robin feature of DNS makes it possible for DNS to return the IP addresses of a name in a different order every time. DNS returns different IP address for each query for one name, if down RD CB’s IP address has been returned, error will be returned, as DNS RRS do not support down system/process detection. And user/client should be try to stablish RDP request again in order to obtain other working RD CB’s IP address.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Craig 

Hi Craig,

The client will try to connect to the first ip address (returned from the DNS lookup) and if that server is down, it will connect to the next ip address after the connection attempt times out.  Since the order of ip addresses returned to the clients varies (as Eve mentioned), the result is that some connection attempts will connect as normal whereas others will have an additional delay.

What you want to do is implement a set of policies and procedures for monitoring your environment and responding to failures as soon as possible.  For example, you may want to remove a failed broker's ip address from DNS right away, remove the broker VM from the RDS deployment, re-create/repair the VM, add the broker back to RDS deployment, add DNS entry back.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:08 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for the extra information. I assume that was how it worked but do like confirmation. 

Where do you get all your information on this. I keep reading multiple post on setup and configuration but don't seem to see this information. Unfortunately in my work environment I only have a limited time for review and research. 

Craig 

Craig G

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Check relate article about RDS HA and DNS RRs from Microsoft official website. Also, build test VMs is recommended to identify the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:23 AM