none
Custom StartMenu (Windows 10 Enterprise), also disabling installation of apps (xBox, Paid Wifi and Mobile, Skype Preview) via GPO

Question

• Hi all - I hope you can help!

I've been battling with a couple of issues with GPO between Win Server 2012 r2 and Win 10 Enterprise all day and am now resulting to posting my questions online after not finding any useful information myself.

Any help you can give will be hugely appreciated.

Issue 1
    Custom Start Menu Layout deployment.  This works, for about a minute, when creating a new user profile on the domain.  As soon as Win10Ent goes through the horrible process of installing it's bloatware (xBox etc) it overrides my custom start menu layout with three icons for Settings, Store and Microsoft Edge (which is awful and I've reverted to IE so is redundant).  No matter what I do with the GPO, or gpupdate utility I cannot get my custom menu back.
    I'm completely outraged with this because all the information MS give says this should work without a problem.

For more information:  
    1) The XML for the custom start menu is in a folder on each machine and "ownership" and "full control" is my security group that the user account is a member of.  
    2) The links for the tiles in the XML are not related to any public folder and point directly to shortcuts in folders on the local machine.
    3) The layout works perfectly for 30-45 seconds when initially creating the profile for a new user but then disappears.

Issue 2
    This kind-of references the previous issue as it is about stopping Win10Ent from "installing" all the bloatware that gets created in the start menu on new-user profile creation.  There are three items that bother me most, but others are an issue too.
    Important ones:  xBox, Paid Wifi and Mobile, Skype Preview.   Non-Essential but would be nice to stop:  Calendar, Contact Support, Mail, Microsoft Edge, People, Store.

I've already attempted to remove these using PowerShell commands (which only work on a per-user basis and get reinstalled every time I create a new user profile).  It's literally driving me nuts that I can't stop this on Win10 Enterprise (which costs a fortune just to stop the damn Candy Crush and Minecraft apps).

Please, help.
    James.

Saturday, November 5, 2016 12:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Am 05.11.2016 um 01:31 schrieb James De Silva:
    > *Custom Start Menu Layout deployment.

Do NOT deploy Startmenü with Group Policy, because Users can not change
    it afterwards and the search is restricted to the existing entries.

Create a LayoutModifications.xml (export a sample menue) instead and
    place it within
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    Do not customize DefaultLayouts.xml

> [...] stopping Win10Ent from "installing" all the bloatware

If you use this, it will only remove the APP for the current user:
    "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingWeather | Remove-AppxPackage"

You need to remove the existing "provisioned" Apps:
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.PackageName -Like
    "Microsoft.BingWeather"} | ForEach-Object {
    Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $_.PackageName}

Get a list of all:
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | ft displayname

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Saturday, November 5, 2016 12:30 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi James,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 11, 2016 1:52 AM