none
Manually Completion % To See Actual Start Work RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

I'm using project 2013 and already save BL start/Finish along and also have an actual start and finish date.

When enter actual start date, found no changes in complete % (0%) till finalize a complete actual date to show 100%.

Now, how shall i show actual complete % after adding actual start? if i did it manually to show current activities completion on the ground any issue with calculation will give errors?

Shall <g class="gr_ gr_666 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="666" id="666">i</g> use complete% or Work% for hardware and software project?

Regards

Waleed

Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:05 PM

All replies

• Waleed,

Project has 3 sets of dates associated with a task, the schedule (plan) dates, the baseline dates and the actual dates. If you enter a date into the Actual Start field, Project will update the plan date (i.e. Start field) to agree with the entered actual start date, if necessary. There will be no change to the Percent Complete field because you've told Project the task started but Project has no information to update any information in Percent Complete.

On the other hand, if you enter a value into the Percent Complete field, Project will assume the task started as planned and automatically enter the plan start date into the Actual Start field.

So, if you enter an actual start date, you will then also need to manually update the percent complete. If you enter a percent complete, you may need to manually edit the Actual Start field if the task did not start on the plan start date.

Just for reference, percent complete is duration based. That is, it has no real relation to actual progress (i.e. work accomplished). The passage of time (i.e. duration) accomplishes nothing, except perhaps for a broken heart or healing of a wound. A much better measure of progress is Percent Work Complete. But rather than directly entering percent work complete the best practice is to enter Actual Work and Remaining Work. Project will then automatically update the Percent Work Field

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:41 PM best practice
    Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:38 PM