Voice between internal and external clients RRS feed

• Question

• Voice cant work when one client is interanl and the other is external. With packet capture we found out that internal client tries to communicate with the IP of the external client only and never tries to communicate with the Edge server. How to fix this?
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Each client should be attempting to contact both each other directly and the Edge server at the same time.  You should see packets sent to both at the same time and if P2P cannot be established then the clients would fall-back to proxying through the Edge server, which is what should happen in your scenario.

I would look at the end-to-end configuration details for the Edge Server as if the internal client is not properly made aware of the Edge Server's existence and ability to handle media (A/V Edge service) or if the internal client's fail to properly resolve the Edge internal FQDN then that might explain why you don't see any connection attempts to it.

The internal client should be contacting the Edge Server's internal interface while the External client should be contacting the Access Edge IP, followed by the A/V Edge IP for media traversal.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Thank you Jeff for your reply

while searching for this issue, I saw one of your replies on this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/communicationsserveredgeservers/thread/d0b1b511-2d73-4161-84dc-2dee4e4bdfb0

Do you know from where the internal client is getting its configuration about A/V Edge server

Is it from Address book, Active Directory or from the Front End?

All the configurations seems to be correct:

- Communcation with Edge seems to be fine

- DNS record for A/V Edge is pointing to external IP address of  A/V Edge

-DNS Record of Access Edge is pointing to the internal IP address

-I ran the configuration wizard few times to make Front End points to the correct Edge server settings

-I ran validation tool on Edge and it didn’t give any error (one warning about federation record was there)

-

Monday, June 21, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Can your internal client properly resolve the A record of your A/V edge to the external IP address as well?

I know sometimes the internal A record can resolve differently, which can often cause the internal client to not provide the right information to the external client when attempting A/V communication.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I think I found a solution for the problem I am facing

I am going to update you when I am sure everything works fine

Thank you for the reply

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:29 PM
  • The problem is that I was putting the wrong port for A/V authentication on Edge. It shout be 5062

I found as similar solution that was written by Jeff Schertzon this link:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=68

• Marked as answer by Jexo Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:46 PM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:27 PM