none
adprep error adding windows 2019 DC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to migrate AD/DC from Windows SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Std and if I run adprep.exe /forestprep, I become this error message:

000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-020804CB, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1414

I have checked user account and is the member of domain/schema/enterprise admins. Whole error file is here:

Entry DN: CN=ms-DS-USN-Last-Sync-Success,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=peugeot,DC=local
    Add error on entry starting on line 1: Operation error

The server side error is: 0x20ef The directory service encountered an unknown error.

The extended server error is:

000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-020804CB, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1414

An error has occurred in the program.

Any advice will be appretiated.

Thanks!

Robajz

• Edited by Robajz Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:33 AM
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:33 AM

All replies

• This may be too big of leap. In order to introduce the first 2019 domain controller the domain functional level needs to be at least 2008 R2. Also sysvol replication needs to have been migrated from older FRS technology to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

May want to try again with Server 2016 where domain controller the domain functional level needs to be at least 2003 and FRS is still functional.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:57 AM
    Owner
  • Was this server migrated from a previous SBS version like SBS 2003? If that is the case I would have a look at Forest and Domain partitions in the Active Directory

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Hi Dave,

as I wrote, old server has SBS 2008 with domain functional/forest functional level on 2008. Unfortunately I do not have possibility to try it on Server 2016. Second choice you wrote (sysvol repl. needst to be migrated from FRS to DFSR) may help me in this case?

On SBS 2008 I tried to run /dcdiag and there is only one unsuccessful FrsEvent test:
    During the last 24 hours after setting up the sysvol volume, the events associated with the warning or error were bypassed. Problems with failed sysvol volume replication can cause Group Policy issues.

Robajz

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Hi Mariëtte,

no, it was clean installation of SBS 2008.

Robajz

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:38 AM
  • I double checked again and found 2008 DFL should be Ok, Please run;

• Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
    • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:56 PM
    Owner
  • Do you see Journal Wrap issues in the FRS log?

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Hi Dave,

the link with requested files is HERE.

Thanks.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi Dave,

the link with requested files is HERE.

Please do not zip files.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:27 PM
    Owner
  • Sorry, I have overlooked it. Again HERE.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:31 PM
  • In File-replication-Service log I see repeating NtFrs error events with ID 13559.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Both domain controllers are currently set to DHCP obtained ip address. They both currently have APIPA (169.254.xxx.xxx addresses) A domain controller should always have a static assigned ip address, domain controller should also have own static address listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. Also appears both have RRAS/VPN installed? Multi-homing a domain controller always causes no end to confusion for active directory DNS.

After correcting these issues if problems persist then please put up a new set of files.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:49 PM
    Owner
  • I made a repair according to this link (method 1) and it seems to be OK now.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Sorry, I putted two same files (dc1/dc2), so check it now on same link, please.

DC1 = SBS 2008, DC2 = WS2019

On both of them there is no DHCP obtained IP address (only by iDRAC adapter and this is DELL management platform).

The first two commands (dcdiag/repadmin) did you want from SBS Server?

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:07 PM
  • Not sure what is meant. Idrac adapter would be at hardware level and not exposed to windows. Both are multi-homed which is problematic. dcdiag does not find active directory domain services.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:16 PM
    Owner
  • iDRAC is integrated ethernet on motherboard, which si physically disconnected now, but provides only connection to Dell Management Console. I dont understand how it relates this with original problem?

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Too funny, correct, it doesn't. You started the idrac discussion.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:24 PM
    Owner
  • I only tried to explain that there are no automatically obtained IPs. Do you have another idea where can be a problem? 

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:33 PM
  • The first set of files you put up showed both DHCP assigned with APIPA addressing, but I've no clue where the files came from. 

As to problems;

• both DC's are multi-homed which is problematic.
    • dcdiag currently reports no active directory domain services were found.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:39 PM
    Owner
  • First - except dc2.txt all files were generated on SBS2008 domain controller.

Second - dc1 and dc2 have both static IPs (look at the files on OneDrive). In the first link I made mistake because I generated both files twice on the same server, but now these files are correct (dc1=SBS2008, dc2=WS2019).

Third - where do you see that something is assigned with APIPA addressing? I wrote you that iDRAC adapter is only for DELL management console.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:51 PM

• The first two commands (dcdiag/repadmin) did you want from SBS Server?

Robajz

Correct

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:56 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

there is no more answer/idea?

Thanks.

Robajz

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:07 AM
  • there is no more answer/idea?

Its been 10 days since I looked but if I recall, dcdiag currently reports no active directory domain services were found. If anything has been updated / fixed then put up a new set of files.

• Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
    • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
    • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:25 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Dave,

I tried to check again dcdiag on SBS2008 and fixed some issues with FSR (ID 13559). Then I have rejoined WS2019 to the domain again, connected to it with SBS local admin credentials and forestprep/domainprep works!

Robajz

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:27 AM