none
TechNet Forum NOT Near As Good As Old Partner Forum RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using the Technet forums since the Partner Forum was shutdown and my experience has NOT been good.  The responses take much longer; the quality (lack of details, often includes guesses rather than tested solutions) of the responses if FAR less and I am not happy about it.

MS needs to remember that Partners are using these forums to implement and sell their products.  Anything that impedes that comes to MS' detriment.  Forums are cheap and easy way to provide Partners with the information they need to keep MS products moving.

I sell and support a LOT of MS products and I push the solutions I receive on the forums to my techs in an effort to keep both MS and my support costs down.

I am paying for this service through my Partner program and expect better.  Is there some other Partner forum that I am missing or did MS really shut down the high quality partner forum support?

Ian Matthews www.urtech.ca www.commodore.ca

Friday, August 31, 2018 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty finding solutions on technet.

Are there any particular technologies where you feel that forum quality is lacking?

Please post any questions for which you havent yet found a satisfactory solution and even if you don't get an immediate root cause / solution, you will definitely get a number of educated questions and suggestions which may help lead you to a solution - at worst to save you time showing what didn't work.

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 31, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Hi Charlie;

Under the old PARTNER FORUM, responses were provided with in 24hr's and often had a "WE'RE WORKING ON IT... " message within half that time.  After 24hrs there was nearly always a considered, detailed response.  In this forum, days pass with little action and then only half answers are provided.  

The old Partner forum indicates we have to use the TechNet form.  What happened to the knowledgeable staff that worked on the old forum?  Were they just terminated or is there some new forum Partners can deal with?  

As far as what I have outstanding:

1 - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/33a6fb86-d710-48e3-b39c-f7e93599aa47/you-need-to-fix-your-work-or-school-account-popup?forum=win10itprogeneral

2 - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/26128caa-6fd4-453a-918e-5f53c4d907eb/gpo-to-disable-defender-setup-one-drive-alert?forum=win10itprosetup#b48324b7-f024-4c38-8a42-5370aeb826a5 

3 - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0aec0591-ac5d-46c6-a502-3b532818f7fd/gpo-to-disable-input-indicator-in-settings-on-win10-1803?forum=win10itprosetup 

If you can have someone skim these, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Hi Ian,

For the first one, can you check the corresponding registry values to ensure SharedExperiences is off?

If not, you can push out the setting via a policy script.

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" -Name "EnableCdp" -Type DWord -Value 0
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" -Name "EnableMmx" -Type DWord -Value 0

Or via a Group Policy - Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Continue experiences on this device [Disable]

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:33 PM
  • Hi Ian,

For the second one, there is a Group Policy to manage this:

Computer configuration > Administrative templates > Windows components > Windows Defender Antivirus > Reporting > Turn off enhanced notifications setting [Enabled]

Charlie Coverdale

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:50 PM
  • The third one - as far as i can determine, the only way to remove the Language Input Selector is to uninstall all but the one language.

I have tried to find a Registry location based on Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) Add a RegSetValue Filter ...

... and toggling between languages and going back to just one language, to two and back to one, but there was nothing shown as to how Windows added or removed the item from the taskbar each time. There was some activity in the registry location where this "should" reside - Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SystemProtectedUserData\***SID***\AnyoneRead\LanguageProfile - but there was nothing i could find which would bend or break it to make it hide.

Charlie Coverdale

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Hi Charlie;

I sincerely appreciate the effort.  However, I should not have to be a jerk to get attention.  Can you tell me:

1. what happened with the old partner forum staff - are they gone?
    2. is there a different forum I can use to get better support
    3. what is the SLA for this forum?  Is it 24 hours like the Partner Forum was?

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:17 PM
  • I believe that this is a Community based forum for people such as you and i to help share our knowledge and experience.

Whilst it is Moderated by Microsoft (and  trusted delegates) and there are some VERY active Microsoft staff (and Microsoft Partner companies such as Wicresoft), it is an informal forum with no SLA that I am aware of.

The Partner program offers the rights to use a quantity of various Software licences, but also offers the ability to raise x amount of support tickets which are handled by a dedicated support person from start to resolution.

I tend to hold onto those for Mission Critical P1s like Exchange down. More straightforward issues are best resolved in forums like this one. 

Charlie Coverdale

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:31 PM
  • Hi Charlie;

It also included PARTNER ONLY support forum and was documented as such but they have removed the page and that description.  This is very disappointing.

If you are not being paid by MS to answer these posts, why are you spending your time on them?

Monday, September 10, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Hi Ian,

For the same reason you might give a tourist directions, or help a mother lift a pram up the stairs. I do it because i can. I have learned a lot from the posts of other forum members, i have found the answers to MANY problems here too. Now that i have years of experience and knowledge to offer back, it is only fair that i give back some of the same help i found or was given here.

This forum is a community of people who both have and need knowledge on a vast range of technologies. To be a part of a community, you really need to contribute to it so that it will grow and improve.

I have an extremely demanding job and ultimately own the entirety of the responsibility for the infrastructure my company uses, so my time is not idly spent but TechNet would not be the incredible resource that it is  without its member's Contributions.

Charlie Coverdale

Saturday, September 29, 2018 7:38 PM