Why do App-V 5.0 SP3 packages already published have pending publishing tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• We see this error often, and wondered why, when a package is published and fully cached, is this event logged?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:37 AM

All replies

• Are you performing any upgrades to a package? If so does the existing app is in use? If it is in use then it will create a pending task in registry and perform upgrade at logoff/restart based upon user/global publishing.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:55 PM
  • I understand how/why pending tasks are created, but we aren't updating anything.

I'm talking about applications that have been published and fully cached in an RDS environment (and have been for some time), but we still regularly see this event.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 1:44 PM
  • You're not alone -- I'm seeing this message, too.  My environment is a Citrix 7.9 Site, so it's running on top of RDS as well.  

I see this with applications that have never been upgraded.  When I say upgraded, I mean there is a single appv package and it hasn't been modified since it was added to the App-V Management Server.

My applications seem to have this problem randomly, as in it will be working fine for a while and then something happens that prevents this application from running.  I usually identify this problem problem because an end user will launch an application and end up getting an error indicating that the application failed to launch and suggest the network may be the cause of the problem.

In my investigation, it seems like, at some point, the VREG file is getting removed.  I'm not entirely sure if the VREG is moved as part of this "upgrade", or if the missing VREG file is what causes the app to think an upgrade is pending, but it definitely seems related.  The VREG files I'm talking about are stored in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VREG.

My solution is to remove the application from the package store, and then to a sync to bring them back down to the machine.

Get-AppVClientPackage <appname> -all | Remove-AppVClientPackage

Sync-AppVPublishingServer 1

If my issue is different than yours, please let me know and I will create a new post so yours isn't hijacked. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:27 PM