none
Percentage allocation for resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement in MS Project 2013.

I have a resource who works in three different projects ,his work splits among each project every day(i.e. 2hrs in 1 project,3 hrs in 1 project etc).

For instance, I have 3 tasks with 2 days duration(all starts on same day).

First day the resource works 4hrs on first task, 2hrs, 2hrs on the other following tasks.

The remaining work on each task will be completed during the following days.

My question is, though they work on different days but the total duration of a task is 1 day but in Resource usage if I put 4,2,2hrs on the forthcoming days, the duration changed to 3 days.

Note: Task type set as Fixed Duration(Unchecked Effort driven)

Is there any way to show 1 day as the total duration?

K.Gokulraj

Monday, June 22, 2015 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think you are mixing duration and work. Your resource works 4 hours on the day1, 2 on day2 and 2 on day3. Thus the duration is definitely 3 days. But since the resource will work 4+2+2=8hrs, the work will be 1 day.

The duration is the time between the start and the finish date of a given task (in your case 3 days, since the task will last 3 days). The work on an assignment is the quantity of work a resource will work on it, in your case 8hrs, so 1 day.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by K.Gokulraj Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:18 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are mixing duration and work. Your resource works 4 hours on the day1, 2 on day2 and 2 on day3. Thus the duration is definitely 3 days. But since the resource will work 4+2+2=8hrs, the work will be 1 day.

The duration is the time between the start and the finish date of a given task (in your case 3 days, since the task will last 3 days). The work on an assignment is the quantity of work a resource will work on it, in your case 8hrs, so 1 day.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by K.Gokulraj Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:18 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for your reply

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:18 PM