none
DPM 2010 - No Exchange workloads displayed when adding Exchange 2007 Cluster to protection group RRS feed

• Question

• Ran into an issue when moving an Exchange 2007 Cluster from one DPM 2010 server to another.

The Protection group was working fine on DPM Server 1 using the -isNonDomainServer method, the two nodes in the Exchange cluster were both updated to attach to DPM Server 2 which was successful, attached the two servers via the DPM console on Server 2 which was successful also.  However now when attempting to create the Protection Group I can see Exchange Node 1, Node 2 and Exchange (Cluster).  The two individual nodes can be expanded but only show All Shares, All Volumes and System Protection, but the Exchange (Cluster) agent won't expand.  I get the Red hourglass for maybe a second and then it disappears.  There's no way for me to see or add the Exchange Storage Groups.

I've attempted to move protection back to the original DPM server but I'm seeing the same behavior there now also.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi David!

Is your Exchange server in the same domain as the DPM server or an untrusted domain? If your Exchange is in an Untrusted Domain the only supported configuration of backup is LCR.

Refresh the agent installed on the Exchange servers. Go to Management and the agent tab, right click the agents and choose refresh. If you can't see the Exchange workload verify that the Exchange VSS is in a stable state.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Hi David.

Correction, the only supported cluster configuration of an Excahnge 2007 enviroment in an untrusted domain is LCR. If you don't run a clusterd Exchange 2007 is't supported to backup with DPM2010 in an untrusted domain.

Please get back with info regarding your problem.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Hi Robert,

This particular Exchange server is on an untrusted domain, and it is running an Exchange 2007 CCR Cluster.  I'm a little concerned to hear that this configuration is not supported as we've been backing this cluster up with DPM 2010 successfully since the RC was released.  This issue arose after connecting the agents to a newly built DPM2010 server, and since then I've also not been able to connect them to the previously working DPM server, both display the same symptoms.

I've refreshed the Agents a number of times now (reinstalled the agents also) they are all currently showing as 'OK'  I'm able to do System State and file backups on the individual machines, however attempting to expand the Exchange Cluster identity when creating a protection group shows nothing almost immediately.

Exchange VSS looks to be fine both nodes report the below after running vssadmin list writers :

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
       Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
       Writer Instance Id: {377fa207-d7aa-40f4-a833-835b8695bd4b}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error

I've also attempted to use Windows Server Backup to backup the Exchange information and this was working successfully before a low disk space condition halted it at around 75%, so I'm thinking that the VSS writer is OK.

So it seems like the agent is installed correctly and working for non-Exchange workloads, and the Exchange VSS writer is responding, but the DPM Agent is not able to query the VSS Writer to enumerate the storage groups.  I'm not seeing any Event Logs to indicate an issue, however the below is repeated in the ExchangeCmdletsWrapperCurr.errlog on both nodes:

26BC 2724 12/15 13:21:12.153 03 exchangecmdletswrapperfactory.cpp(154)   ACTIVITY Principal name HOST/ExchangeNodeName

26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:12.449 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(1153)   NORMAL RunSpaceConfiguration Created
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:13.276 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(1159)   NORMAL Snapin Added
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:13.276 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(1162)   NORMAL Runspace created
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:13.541 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(1063)   NORMAL ExchangeCmdlets:RunExchangeCmdLet: Running get-mailboxserver -Identity:"Exch"
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:15.788 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(207)   NORMAL Property: NonShared
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:15.788 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(727)   NORMAL Executed:get-mailboxserver -Identity:"Exch" Property:ClusteredStorageType Value:get-mailboxserver -Identity:"Exch"
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:15.788 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(757)   NORMAL Invoking get-exchangeserver -Identity:"Exch" |%{$_.AdminDisplayVersion}
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:15.819 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(786)   NORMAL E12Version : 8.2.176.2
    26BC 20EC 12/15 13:21:23.790 31 ExchangeCmdlets.cs(152)   NORMAL Clear called: Initialized:True

This just keeps repeating, unlike another Exchange CCR Cluster we have here which the same logs show the "ExchangeCmdlets:RunExchangeCmdLet: Running Get-StorageGroup 'EXCH001\EXCH001-SG9'" eventually running.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hi David,

DPM 2010 does not support protecting Exchange 2007 CCR, storage groups if there is no trust between DPM domain and Exchange domain. And DPM doesn't enumerate any datasources in the Create Protection Group wizard when the cluster node is expanded.

Since you have already protected Exchagne CCR form DPM1, it looks like there is trust between DPM1 and Exchange domains. Otherwise DPM does not enumerate the datasources for protection.

If a computer is protected using -isNonDomainServer, then in the agent management tab you can see "Untrusted" string against the protected computer.

Thanks,

Nagesh

Nagesh[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi Robert and Nagesh,

Thanks for the help, ran out of time to troubleshoot this one so I ended up building a new DPM2010 server in the untrusted domain to get backups of the CCR cluster working, so all is well.

A little disappointed that I could not get the previous configuration running again, even if it wasn't supported we did have it running succesfully for about 8 months without a trust ever being in place.

thanks

Dave.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:53 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:59 PM