locked
SMPortal has somehow become a subsite RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello all,

    I am on the brink of deploying SCSM 2012 into production and have brought in a few colleagues to assist with the deployment and future management. Last week while I was on vacation, one of my colleagues made a change to the portal and everything appeared to be working fine.. that is until today when I tried to modify the site theme by clicking site settings > site theme which resulted in an unknown error. After some google research, it appeared to be an access mapping issue, so I have tried every combination I can think of without any luck. I noticed that in my address bar, /SMPortal/ was not listed, so I added it and instantly all of the site settings worked once again... Interestingly enough though, it was almost an entirely different site where none of the changes we have made over the past several weeks were applied (removed page title, added a webpart above the request offering webpart, etc). Both sites function correctly, meaning I can browse around see my incidents, submit new requests, etc. It's just that site settings don't work without the /SMPortal/ and modifying the settings for /SMPortal/ do not take effect on the main site...

    What I'm calling the main site: https://devhelp.domain.com/SitePages/Service%20Catalog.aspx
    Typing in this takes me to a completely different page: https://devhelp.domain.com/SMPortal/SitePages/Service%20Catalog.aspx

    Here are my access mappings inside of Central Admin for the SM Web App:

    • http://devhelp.domain.com - Default
    • https://devhelp.domain.com - Default
    • https://devhelp.domain.com:444 - Intranet

    and my IIS Bindings:

    • Default Web Site - http 80 *
    • DEV Help (this contains the contenthost and servicehost directories) - https 443 *
    • Service Manager Portal - https 'devhelp.domain.com' 444 *
                                             https 'devhelp.domain.com' 443 *
    • SharePoint - 80 - http 80
    • SharePoint Central Administration v4 - http 2010 *
                                                                   http 'scsmadmin.domain.com' 80 *

    Any help I can get here to get these sites sync'ed back up would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

    Friday, July 6, 2012 9:55 PM

All replies

  • Hi Brian,

    By default the SCSM Self-Service portal is created under the "/SMPortal/".  A Default SharePoint site is also created under "/SitePages/". It should look like this:

    • https://SCSMSERVERNAME/SitePages/
    • https://SCSMSERVERNAME/SMPortal/

    By default you should not have a https://SCSMSERVERNAME/SitePages/Service%20Catalog.aspx. /SMPortal/ is the one you actually want to use. Service%20Catalog.aspx is the home page of the SCSM Self-Service portal.


    My Blog | www.buchatech.com

    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!





    Monday, July 9, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply buchatech, we decided to try a rebuild since we couldn't explain how it got the way it did and weren't sure on how to resolve it. Now I've encountered a whole heap of other issues, after uninstalling SCSM on the management/web portal server, I can no longer get it to reinstall. I am having the same issue as this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/311578ab-1568-481b-9a3f-cfbf9e50d25b/

    I am attempting to use the original ServiceManager DB, and using the same domain service account. I think we are just going to do a full rebuild.

    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply buchatech, we decided to try a rebuild since we couldn't explain how it got the way it did and weren't sure on how to resolve it. Now I've encountered a whole heap of other issues, after uninstalling SCSM on the management/web portal server, I can no longer get it to reinstall. I am having the same issue as this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/311578ab-1568-481b-9a3f-cfbf9e50d25b/

    I am attempting to use the original ServiceManager DB, and using the same domain service account. I think we are just going to do a full rebuild.

    Hi Brian,

    That sounds like your best option at this point. You may want to start with a fresh DB. When you do get SCSM re-installed keep in mind that you should end up with a URL similar to this once the Self-Service portal is deployed: https://SCSMSERVERNAME/SMPortal/.


    My Blog | www.buchatech.com |

    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!


    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:26 PM