Error 80244010 on some WSUS clients RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Birdal,

As the article you provided says:

• We have defined the maximum number of trips as 200 within code and it cannot reconfigured. 

So, if you click "Update Now" and the error "0x80244010" appears at the end, then the automatic update is normal, and only the update information is completely obtained by this update. Then continue to click "Update Now". As for how many times you need to click to update immediately, it depends on how many patches you need to install for the installed operating system.

For reference, there is a netizen who has tested this and recorded it. If you are interested, you can check his article: "WSUS clients fail with WARNING: Exceeded max server round trips: 0x80244010".

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by _Birdal Friday, October 11, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Birdal,

As the article you provided says:

• We have defined the maximum number of trips as 200 within code and it cannot reconfigured. 

So, if you click "Update Now" and the error "0x80244010" appears at the end, then the automatic update is normal, and only the update information is completely obtained by this update. Then continue to click "Update Now". As for how many times you need to click to update immediately, it depends on how many patches you need to install for the installed operating system.

For reference, there is a netizen who has tested this and recorded it. If you are interested, you can check his article: "WSUS clients fail with WARNING: Exceeded max server round trips: 0x80244010".

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by _Birdal Friday, October 11, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Hi Yic,

>>>" This is hardcoded and cannot be reconfigured.  "

>>> "A natural solution to this is to expose the "max server round trips" variable and allow it to be programmed by the organization according to their needs. "

It means there is nothing to do except CLICK actions many times, and wait for a luck  that clients will check/get updates without error?!!!

Yes, I can confirm that:

I tried 8-9 times on two servers to check Windows Updates. After 8-9 click could now clients download updates from our WSUS servers!

But how about with the automatic updates process? I mean, we have some machines which check updates and then automatically download/install/reboot in a given day/time. It means, if these machines check updates, they will probably get this error 80244010, and will not check again and cannot download/install updates.

Best regards

Birdal

• Edited by _Birdal Friday, October 11, 2019 8:50 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Birdal,

As you know, in the course of researching this problem, there is really no other better way than waiting.

But I have an idea to share with you. If the client you mentioned is a brand new machine, can you assign it to a specific WSUS target group through Group Policy, and no updates will be approval in this group. The approval, after ensuring that these clients complete the status report, then move them to the group of computers they should go to, because these groups may have approved some updates, so evade the emergence of 0x80244010. Although I have not tested whether this idea is feasible.

The other is to increase the frequency of update detection of these computers through group policy, if feasible.
    Of course, there are many factors that may be involved in the actual enterprise environment, so my ideas can only be used for your reference, and I hope to inspire you.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hi Yic,

first suggestion of yours is not applicabable to our einvironment.

>>>"The other is to increase the frequency of update detection of these computers through group policy, if feasible."

It is standard update detection is applied (22 hours). These computers are in the new WSUS infastructure since 2 weeks so that they had had enough Windows Updates checks. As I mentioned only some of them have this issue.

Best regards

Birdal

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Hi Birdal,

I will also continue to research the issue of 0x80244010.
    If there is any progress, I will communicate with you here.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Thank you, Yic.

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

The following is a summary of the current thread:

• Issue Symptom
      Windows 7 (2008r2) clients has an error of 0x80244010 during the update check.

• Cause
      Windows defined the maximum number of trips as 200 within code and it cannot reconfigured.

• Solution
      Try to check the update multiple times and wait for the data transfer to complete.

• Reference Links
      WSUS clients fail with WARNING: SyncServerUpdatesInternal failed: 0x80244010

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:17 AM