none
Some internal emails getting delayed RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, we have a single Exchange 2013 server and we're all connecting through Outlook 2013. Some of my users are having their emails delayed by up to a couple of days. I had one of our maintenance supervisors show me and it actually failed to send while I was there (I was amazed it failed while he was showing me-doesn't always work that way). He tried to send an email four times and it failed each time. Then he forwarded one from his Outbox and two others left with it. I'm not an Exchange guy but I have done basic tasks in it. In my Exchange 2007 server I could enter an email's information like who sent it and who was it sent to and when and I could see the tracking information. I checked the tool box in my 2013 server and I can't find anything like that. Any ideas on what's going on or what to look for?

Thanks,

Joe B

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:08 PM

Answers

• The answer was to enable Cached Mode in our Outlook programs. That fixed the latency issue along with some other connectivity issues.

Thanks,

Joe B

• Marked as answer by JBruyet Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:19 PM
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you look at your queue viewer, what errors are listed?

Have you tried a message track?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

To confirm the situation, as you said “he forwarded one from his Outbox”, are those mails still in Outbox? If those mails are not in Outbox, then you can use message tracking log to check where the mail is delayed. 

In Exchange 2013, you can still use EAC or EMS to see the message tracking log for delayed messages.
    With EAC, navigate to mail flow > delivery reports, and you can use the delivery reports similar to Exchange 2007.
    With EMS, you can run the command to view the message tracking log.

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender <senderAddress> -MessageSubject <subject> 

If those mails are delayed, does the sender receive NDRs? If yes, you can check or post the information here.
    Additionally, you can also check the queue to see if there are too many messages hang in queue. 

Get-Queue | fl

Please feel free to ask questions, and I’ll provide further assistance. 

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:44 AM
  • --> Edward, no errors appear in the queue viewer. As to the message track I see Dawn's directions for viewing that. I'll head that direction next.

Thanks,

Joe B

Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Good morning Dawn,

I navigated to the delivery reports and found the emails from yesterday. Even though it was several minutes start to finish for the emails to be sent all three show the same information:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted
    9/19/2018 10:53 AM SRV-EXCHANGE3
    The message was submitted to srv-exchange3.domain.com.
    Pending
    9/19/2018 10:53 AM srv-exchange3.domain.com
    Message was received by srv-exchange3.domain.com from srv-Exchange3.domain.com.

The message has been transferred from srv-exchange3.domain.com to srv-Exchange3.domain.com.
    Delivered
    The message was successfully delivered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was just one workstation I'd lean toward an Outlook 2013 issue but this is happening to several people. I spoke with one person this morning who had previously mentioned an issue with email delays but he doesn't have any idea when the emails were sent. I'll talk to more people, find some specific instances, look for them in this delivery report, and return with any additional information.

Thanks,

Joe B

Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:16 PM
  • Also, for what it's worth, we only have about 130 people here where I work. I'm pretty sure email volume isn't a contributing factor to our problem.

Thanks,

Joe B

Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Ok, Robert emailed Ed a requisition on 9/17 @ 2:28pm. Ed received the requisition Wednesday afternoon. Here's the information from the Delivery Report:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivery Report for  Ed (ed@domain.com)‎
    Submitted
    9/19/2018 3:13 PM SRV-EXCHANGE3
    The message was submitted to srv-exchange3.domain.com.Pending
    9/19/2018 3:13 PM srv-exchange3.domain.com
    Message was received by srv-exchange3.domain.com from srv-Exchange3.domain.com.

The message has been transferred from srv-exchange3.domain.com to srv-Exchange3.domain.com.Delivered
    The message was successfully delivered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I checked the Exchange server logs and nothing was going on at that time.

Ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Joe B

Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:59 PM
  • I just found out this morning that this is happening at both of our sites. Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks,

Joe B

Monday, September 24, 2018 8:08 PM
  • The answer was to enable Cached Mode in our Outlook programs. That fixed the latency issue along with some other connectivity issues.

Thanks,

Joe B

• Marked as answer by JBruyet Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:19 PM
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:19 PM