none
Windows 10 Folder Redirection Using Next Gen Onedrive Sync Client

Question

• I am trying to set up folder redirection for my Windows 10 users to redirect their folders using Group Policy to OneDrive using the next generation sync client. Basically I am using the instructions found at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25220.onedrive-for-business-folder-redirection-gpo.aspx to redirect Documents, Desktop, Pictures and the Favorites folders to their OneDrive accounts on Office365.

I have the policy applied to our Windows 7 users and it seems to be working fine..  However my test clients seem to have issues.  When a test client logs on, we'll get sync errors on the redirected folders and the OneDrive client is indicating that the folder already exists and that the copy found in the local OneDrive folder needs to be deleted and then it'll be synced down to the computer. Deleting the folder from the local file system doesn't cause the online copy to sync down to the computer. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

John Nash

Monday, March 21, 2016 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

The phenomenon may be caused by the synchronization between OneDrive and OneDrive for business.

You could disable OneDrive file syncing by configuring GPO under the path below.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components

To configure GPO:

1. From the Windows 10 Start Screen, click the Search      icon, use the Search charm, or go there directly by hitting the Windows      key and Q.
    2. Search for gpedit.msc.      Run it.
    3. Expand Computer      Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components
    4. Select OneDrive
    5. On the right hand side, double click Prevent the      usage of OneDrive for file storage
    6. Select the Enabled radio button

For detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

How to disable OneDrive file syncing

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matt-harrington/2014/04/18/how-to-disable-onedrive-file-syncing/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

The phenomenon may be caused by the synchronization between OneDrive and OneDrive for business.

You could disable OneDrive file syncing by configuring GPO under the path below.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components

To configure GPO:

1. From the Windows 10 Start Screen, click the Search      icon, use the Search charm, or go there directly by hitting the Windows      key and Q.
    2. Search for gpedit.msc.      Run it.
    3. Expand Computer      Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components
    4. Select OneDrive
    5. On the right hand side, double click Prevent the      usage of OneDrive for file storage
    6. Select the Enabled radio button

For detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

How to disable OneDrive file syncing

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matt-harrington/2014/04/18/how-to-disable-onedrive-file-syncing/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:36 AM
  • We are using the new onedrive client and personal sync is disabled via GP already. Would this be the same thing as the new GP extensions are slightly different than the article you sent me? 
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi John,

What is the different?

If possible, I suggest you try it first.

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:16 AM