none
Copying a project from one Project Server DB to another Project Server DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is it possible to copy projects from one project server PWA database to another PWA database. I don't want to physically save the project as .MPP file and re-import in another PWA instance, because we have challenges in Custom Fields.

Can someone help me if you have done this before?

Thanks!

NK Srinivasan 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi NK Srinivasan,

Unfortunately, you cannot copy a project from one PWA instance to another PWA instance without temporary saving the project as an .MPP file because the project has to be validated against the Enterprise Global Template of the other PWA instance.

Custom Fields are indeed a challenge. Typically, I copy all enterprise custom fields with lookup tables to local custom fields (using a macro) before saving as an MPP file. Before saving the mpp file into the new PWA environment, I copy the local custom fields values into the enterprise custom fields (once again using a macro) and remove/clear the local custom fields.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hi NK Srinivasan,

Unfortunately, you cannot copy a project from one PWA instance to another PWA instance without temporary saving the project as an .MPP file because the project has to be validated against the Enterprise Global Template of the other PWA instance.

Custom Fields are indeed a challenge. Typically, I copy all enterprise custom fields with lookup tables to local custom fields (using a macro) before saving as an MPP file. Before saving the mpp file into the new PWA environment, I copy the local custom fields values into the enterprise custom fields (once again using a macro) and remove/clear the local custom fields.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi Hans,

Facing issues with custom fields.

Can you please provide the macro and guidelines to create such macro to download custom field in local field.

Thanks and regards,

Rupali Kothawade

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:02 AM