Deploying SCCM Clients to a Separate Hierarchy Site Systems - Safe? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a SCCM 2012 Hierarchy(A) to manage Workstations and total number of  site system servers is 35 in our Hierarchy A setup. Now as per the client requirement we have installed a new, separate hierarchy(B) to manage all Enterprise servers(total 2000) and need to install SCCM Clients from this Hierarchy(B) to the Site system servers supporting the Workstation environment.

Is it safe to do so or can there be some kind of a conflict?

Thanks.

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Is it safe: yes. Does it make sense: most likely not. Why is there a requirement for a separate hierarchy?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Dar_Jude Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:47 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 6:59 PM
  • SCCM client works in its own workspace and will not interfere with the Site System functioning. So you can proceed.

-RG

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:14 PM
  • When Site System servers or Role servers are installed, the SCCM Client is not installed by default. Considering this fact, if the WS team upgrades will not have any effect on the SCCM Client installed on that Server by the Server team. That's why I do not think it should be a problem. I would still like to get my POV validated by senior members.

-RG

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:46 PM

All replies

• Is it safe: yes. Does it make sense: most likely not. Why is there a requirement for a separate hierarchy?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:59 PM
  • We are now beyond the discussion about a separate hierarchy and we indeed have now. So now if I push the agent from Hierarchy B to the site systems supporting Hierarchy A, will not cause any issue to the functioning of the Hierarchy A. Correct? Kindly let me know. Thanks :)

Monday, February 23, 2015 7:05 PM
  • SCCM client works in its own workspace and will not interfere with the Site System functioning. So you can proceed.

-RG

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Actually I have see it in the past where some site server component will NOT like reporting to a different site. MPs for example.

IMO it is a bad idea to have CM!2 site server report to a different CM!2 environment. Best of luck with that.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Monday, February 23, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Thanks for your responses guys, however I am now more confused as Torsten and Ravinder are saying its OK and Garth says its not OK. Can anyone validate this please. Thanks a ton.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:16 AM
  • Thanks for your responses guys, however I am now more confused as Torsten and Ravinder are saying its OK and Garth says its not OK. Can anyone validate this please. Thanks a ton.

The real answer is that you are going to have to trying it for yourself. I don't recommend doing it based on previous experience.

Just think about it for a monument. What happens when your server team doesn't upgrade to CM12 Sp2 but the WS team does? How exactly will this affect your MP?

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:59 AM
  • When Site System servers or Role servers are installed, the SCCM Client is not installed by default. Considering this fact, if the WS team upgrades will not have any effect on the SCCM Client installed on that Server by the Server team. That's why I do not think it should be a problem. I would still like to get my POV validated by senior members.

-RG

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:46 PM
  • I think what Garth has mentioned above is a valid point, you will likely see problems if you use the same domain and have the site code set to auto.

You will have to be careful with overlapping boundaries etc in order to keep this clean or set the code manually. Otherwise you may see differeing results.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:10 PM