none
DPM 2012 Sp1 install error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm looking to install DPM 2012 Sp1 onto Windows Server 2012, Ive checked supported versions etc.  SQL 2012 is installed with database engine and reporting.  However when running DPM's Setup.exe (with Admin rights) and selecting the option 'Data Protection Manager' I get the below error:

"Installation of Visual C++ redistributable package has failed.  Run vcredisk_x64.exe from \Redist\vcredist\ to install vcredist and launch DPM setup again"

When running it manually I get the error:

"This app cant run on your PC.  To find a version for your PC, check with software publisher"

Any help much appreciated!

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

• If you attempt to install the Visual C++ redistributable package from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15336 what result do you get? If the downloadable redistributable install fails do you see any errors in the event log?

I've not seen this issue on DPM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012 previously with the Visual C++ redistributable package.

Are you using downloaded ISO media? I have had a case previously (with a different product) where I downloaded an ISO without error that kept giving me errors when installing supporting components. I downloaded the media again and didn't have an issue. If downloaded Visual C++ redistributable works then it might be worth a try.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:11 AM

All replies

• If you attempt to install the Visual C++ redistributable package from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15336 what result do you get? If the downloadable redistributable install fails do you see any errors in the event log?

I've not seen this issue on DPM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012 previously with the Visual C++ redistributable package.

Are you using downloaded ISO media? I have had a case previously (with a different product) where I downloaded an ISO without error that kept giving me errors when installing supporting components. I downloaded the media again and didn't have an issue. If downloaded Visual C++ redistributable works then it might be worth a try.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Spot on Danny

I was looking at overwriting the C++ redist with a different version to see if the wrong version was shipped with the media (although didn't seem that likely given its supported on Win2012), and noticed that the media was only 600+MB but the download from MSDN is roughly 4GB.  Once re-downloaded DPM 2012 Sp1, this error didn't occur, so was what I think is called a 'red-herring' error.

Cheers Andrew

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:59 AM