Outlook 2016 (Click-to-Run): Cannot send this item. The Operation failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am getting this message when forwarding a pdf attachment in Outlook 2016. Cannot send this item. The Operation failed.

background: Outlook 2016 is click to run and the January 22, 2018, update for Outlook 2016 (KB4011123) does not apply. It says so on the 3rd line " It doesn't apply to the Office 2016 Click-to-Run editions".

It has the latest updates as of 5/3/2018 (version 1804 Build 9226.2114 click to run)

Does anyone know of a fix.

OS Windows 7
    Outlook 2016 (click to run)

Any help would be appreciated.

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, May 7, 2018 6:41 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

Just wanted to update that this issue has been submitted for a hotfix request.  I'll post back when we know the fix will release.

As previously noted you could workaround the issue by switching the email to Format of HTML (Click Forward, click Format Text, Click HTML).  If that is not an option you could revert the version of Office to a version prior to the issue happening. 

1.  Open a Command Prompt

2.  Run these two commands one after the other

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.9029.2167

Note:  Sometimes earlier version builds are not available. You can pick from other builds on this page if that happens, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

3.  Disable Updates by clicking File, Office Account, Update Options, Disable Updates.

4.  Add an appointment for a ~month out e.g. 6/22 to remind yourself to re-enable updates.  

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joe845 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue only occur when you forward a pdf attachment?

Have you tried directly sending a pdf attachment or forwarding .doc attachments?

What's the format of the message? Please check this via Format Text > Format. Switch it to Rich text or HTML to check the result.

If issue persists, we could try creating a new profile in case there is something wrong with the profile.

What’s more, please try starting Outlook in safe mode and see whether this issue continues. This helps eliminate if the problem is related to any third party add-ins. To do this, please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe, press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, May 4, 2018 6:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, May 7, 2018 1:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:47 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 7, 2018 1:15 AM
  • Hello Perry,

As of May 6th, 2018 11:15 pm EST.... nothing.
    Monday, May 7, 2018 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestion above? Does it work for you?

We could also use the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) to get a detailed report of your installed Office programs. It also highlights known problems that are found when OffCAT scans your computer. For more details, please refer to this link.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 7, 2018 6:42 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Hi Perry,

The issue only occurs forwarding pdf files in RTF. Word, Excel files forward without an issue in any format.

When forwarding a pdf if you change the email from Rich Text to HTML it does send out the email.
    All Add-ins have been unchecked.

I will try outlook.exe /safe today and get the results around 12pm EST (New York).

I ran the OffCatt detailed.  I did it once and nothing showed up.  It gives like 4 or 5 different results in txt format.  Is there one that you would like me to post here?

Thanks
    Joe

Monday, May 7, 2018 11:36 AM
  • Ok Ran the OffCat tool.  Nothing "wrong" with outlook.
    Here are the Results:
    Application not responding- Warning - Outlook is slow to close because of the FastShutdownBehavior registry value
    Autodiscover - Warning - Possible problems due to non-default values specified under \RedirectServers
    Error message - Warning - Outlook is slow to close because of the FastShutdownBehavior registry value
    Slowness - Warning - Outlook is slow to close because of the FastShutdownBehavior registry value

ran outlook in safemode - still get the: Cannot send this item. The Operation Failed.

Any ideas?

Monday, May 7, 2018 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue only happen to you account?

We could try repairing Office to see if there are any improvements. To do this, please go to Control Pane > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit. Click Change and then click Repair.

Have you tested in a new profile?

I’ve researched a lot and currently, haven’t found related official articles. If the above steps don’t work, as a workaround, we could use HTML format to send those message.

What’s more, regarding fast shutdown behavior, you could refer to this link to see if it was configured correctly.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Same problem with 2 users on 2 different workstations running Outlook 2016 (C2R).  They cannot forward messages which contain any kind of attachments if the inbound message is in Rich Text Format.  They get the "Cannot send this item. Operation Failed" message.  Changing the format to HTML works but that is not an acceptable solution.  Also, if the inbound message is in HTML, they can forward the message no problem, as is, and also when they change it to Rich Text Format, it works.  This is very strange.

Any ideas?

Jean

• Edited by Iorio-Tech Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:53 PM
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to update that this issue has been submitted for a hotfix request.  I'll post back when we know the fix will release.

As previously noted you could workaround the issue by switching the email to Format of HTML (Click Forward, click Format Text, Click HTML).  If that is not an option you could revert the version of Office to a version prior to the issue happening. 

1.  Open a Command Prompt

Note:  Sometimes earlier version builds are not available. You can pick from other builds on this page if that happens, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

3.  Disable Updates by clicking File, Office Account, Update Options, Disable Updates.

4.  Add an appointment for a ~month out e.g. 6/22 to remind yourself to re-enable updates.  

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joe845 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Thank you Gabriel

Please let us know for this problem still occurs
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:45 PM
  • Hi Jean,

Sorry I have been working on a different issue.  Gabriel said that the issue has been sent as a hot fix.  No release date has been set.  Please let us know if you have found a solution, for I am still having the same problem.  Thank you in advance.

Joe
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

After updating to Outlook 2016 1804 (Build 9226.2114), I can reproduce this issue here. 

Please refer to the Gabriel's suggestion to revert back to a previous version of Outlook as a workaround.

I'll post back to inform you once I get updates with this issue.

By the way, would you mind marking  Gabriel's reply as answer so that other users who is having same issue can easily find the useful information here?

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:47 AM
  • I will try this weekend.  If it works I will mark it as an answer.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Currently, I haven't received updates about this issue. Have you tried reverting back to a previous version of Outlook? Does it work?

If you have more concern, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, May 28, 2018 1:38 AM
  • Hello Perry,

I did do the rollback over the weekend.  I did a test and seems to have worked.  It is a holiday today May 28th and no one is in the office to do a real test.  I have emailed my client and I should have an answer by tomorrow. 

I will keep you updated.

Monday, May 28, 2018 2:17 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Here is update today May 29th, 2018.  Gabriel's suggestion worked. Rolling it back to a previous version took care of the problem. 

Just in case someone didn't see it the steps are as follows:

1.  Open a Command Prompt (I ran it as administrator)

Will we get here an answer when Microsoft has a patch for this?

Thanks
    Joe

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply.

I will pay attention to this issue. Once I get the updates, I'll post back to inform you.

Thank you for your understanding and support :)

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

This issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1805 (Build 9330.2118) and higher. Please refer to the details in this link.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:35 AM