none
DPM Tape Labels, with Colocation enabled RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2010 with tape colocation enabled.  We have 8 different protection groups and only back up to tape monthly.  My problem is with the tape names.  I don't see a 'fix' for the issue on the resources I have found, but maybe I am missing something, and if so I apologize in advance. 

A typical monthly backup will take 7-8 tapes.  The backup itself works great, but tape labels are confusing.  Some tapes will have a single protection groups where others may contain multiple (as expected).  From my experiences, it seems like the tape label that DPM uses the tape label for the first protection group it writes to tape. So for example,

Tape 1  - Label: California001, contains: California

Tape 2  - Label: California002, contains: California, Nevada, UK

Tape 3  - Label: New York001, contains: New York

So that makes sense, but I was hoping to have a tape number that just incremented.  What I read said to use a similar tape name, which is actually what we did.  However, instead of above, it now lists as;

Tape 1  - Label: April2012-001, contains: California

Tape 2  - Label: April2012-002, contains: California, Nevada, UK

Tape 3  - Label: April2012-001, contains: New York

So we now have multiple tapes with the same label.  I guess between the two, I prefer the first, so at least each tape gets a unique label.  My question is;

Is there any way to make the labels increment in any way so that each tape gets a new incrememented number, while the label portion itself is static? 

April2012-001, April2012-002, April2012-003, April2012-004, etc?

Hope I was clear.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very appreciative.  (And if any additional info is needed, ask away)

Thanks much,

Derek Martin

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Each Protection group will maintain it's own incremental number, and as noted, since you have tape colocation enabled, the first backup that goes on a new tape will get that protection groups label name and sequence number.  If you have barcodes, I would not care about tape labels.

There is no workaroud for this if you have tape co-location enabled.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Each Protection group will maintain it's own incremental number, and as noted, since you have tape colocation enabled, the first backup that goes on a new tape will get that protection groups label name and sequence number.  If you have barcodes, I would not care about tape labels.

There is no workaroud for this if you have tape co-location enabled.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:46 PM
  • Thanks much for the reply and confirmation on behavior. 

Very much appreciated.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:16 PM