Question regarding indexing service and missing emails in Outlook, sent items RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client whose Outlook is malfunctioning

These are the conditions:

Outlook 365

A stand alone outlook client

Is a POP3 based account with a standard local pst file

Indexing service has been reporting errors for several days and search results are not corresponding with the actual content in the different containers

When I acced the pc the update message in outlook were flashing and I therefore updated the outlook configuration

Thereafter all sent messages disappeared from sent items from the day and forward down to almost the minute from when the indexing service started to fail.

Same goes from messages in Inbox.

I've managed to get the emails to show up again in Inbox from one of following tasks performed:

1. Quick repair option in Add/remove Microsoft Installation under programs in Control Panel
    2. Rebuilding index

File then Options.

Search then Indexing Options.

Advanced.

Rebuild button.

1. Advances repair in Add/remove Microsoft Installation under programs in Control Panel
    2. Still the emails in the Sent Items haven't reappeared

Given the fact that the pst format is very stable and concervative the emails must be there

These emails is of most importance to get to reappear

Any suggestion what the problem could be?

• Edited by Peter L Aa Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:47 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

let me summarize your issues

1. Search results are not corresponding with the actual content in the different containers.
    2. Sent messages disappeared from sent items. Same as messages in Inbox.

Since you are using a POP account, all your messages are stored in the PST file. Before we do some operations and tests, please backup your PST file. Besides, What's the version of your account?(File > Office Account > About Outlook), please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

For ths search issue:

>> Indexing service has been reporting errors for several days

Could you please provide me with the detail error message? So I can do further research.

Search issue may be related to many sides, please try the suggestions below:

1. Toggling the indexing on and off via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options.
    2. Start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    3. Try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    4. Rebuild your indexing.(You have done)
    5. Repair your Office installation.(You have done)

For messages disappeared issue.

Just as I mention above, all your messages are stored in PST file when you are using a POP account. So the issue may be related to the sides below:

1. PST file itself. Please try repairing your PST file.
    2. Settings in Outlook client. Please make sure you have enabled the "save copies of messages in the sent items folder" option via File > Options > Mail > Save messages.
    3. A corrupted profile may also cause this issue, so it is also suggested to create and use a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 4, 2019 8:27 AM