Outlook 2016 keeps prompting for password after O365 account password changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been running into the same issue with Outlook 2016 (latest version always) and our Office 365 accounts (no on-prem, never was). Frequently, when a user changes their password authentication is successful (as shown in Azure AD) however the modern auth prompt is immediately displayed again. I have not been able to resolve this despite MULTIPLE tickets with Microsoft support where I am escalated to tier 2 with any real help. Here's what I've tried:

-Complete re-installation of Office 2016/365

-Removal of all stored credentials from the credential manager and appdata/local

-Problem is not network related, happens to users at any location, remote etc. I have verified this via network capture with MS support multiple times

-Run sfc /scannow etc.

-Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant didn't work

I am able to add other account without a problem however the affected account cannot be re-added. It will work on other email client or other installs of Office 2016 on separate PC's. I suspect something is being cached somewhere that is causing the continuous loop of authentication. Outlook appears to be prompting the user with the correct modern auth prompt, going through MFA so I don't think there's a problem there.

This has been a very frustrating endeavor and if someone who truly understands O365 auth on Windows 10 and Office can help it would be greatly appreciated. 

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to log out of the problematic account via File > Office Account > Sign out (From the Account > User Information) and try logging in again to see if the issue can be stopped. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:17 AM