Vista - Outlook 2003 Contact -address problems RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, I hope I am in the right place, second, If anyone has figured this out, please share with me:

I went to Vista from xp using windows 2003, only because i had to and its my work computer so its rather frustrating for me.
    Now i am using Vista with outlook 2003 and i am having PrObLems!

Problem 1)  There is no autocomplete in outlook.  It worked perfectly in
    2003 version.  Instead of going to contacts for the info, it goes to address
    book and nothing is there.  I have only spent a hour on vista but it is
    maddening to me so far.  Like in the xp version, i would start typing names
    and it would complete it, if not at least pull up my contacts for me to
    choose the right one.

Problem 2) with possible solution : :  I switched out my monitor to a flatscreen and it seems to have fixed the problem that i was having with the view, everything was different and it hurt my eyes. Now its alot better.

The outlook problem is really distracting. 

Thanks for your help!

Sandra

Friday, February 2, 2007 3:50 PM

Answers

• problem resolved.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052426341033.aspx

This link is helpful

Also, delete your existing outlook address book using instruction in above link and restart outlook and it works.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:13 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem but with Outlook 2003 and XP SP2 after having rebuilt the local .pst file.

Same thing happens, the user creates a new mail and types in a contact in her address book and nothing happens. Same thing when she clicks on To: it seems like there's no contacts. Although when she clicks on Contacts she's got all her contacts there.

Is there a way to fix this problem?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:18 PM
  • I'm not a technical expert (by any means), but I had the same problem and have managed to sort it.

I'm using Outlook 2000 on Vista (working ok so far, but wouldn't advise it!).

It looks like the Address Book is linked to Windows Mail. No matter what I do, I can't set Outlook at the default for Vista (so will probably have to change over to Windows Mail - Thunderbird also seems to be an option).

Because of this, although you can add Contacts in your Outlook, the address book isn't picking them up because it's Windows Mail.

Here's how I fixed it:
     - Export Contacts out of outlook:
    File - Export to a File - Comma Seperated Values (Windows) - etc etc - save file onto your desktop

Then click Start - your user name - Contacts - Import tab at the top - and import the file in that you just saved on your desktop.

It's worked for me, but looks like I'll have to export and import on a regular basis to keep the Contacts function updated.

NB - in windows 2000 I can't automatically type names, but have to select Options - Email Options - Advanced Email options - check Automatic name checking.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Shming
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:42 AM
  • I tried this method and it does not work. I have address both in address book of outlook and user->contacts but none are picked in autocomplete.

Any other clue please?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:40 PM
  • problem resolved.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052426341033.aspx

This link is helpful

Also, delete your existing outlook address book using instruction in above link and restart outlook and it works.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:13 PM