Document text breaking to new page early RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  I have a Word 2010 document where text on one page abruptly ends halfway down the page, and resumes at the top of the next page.  I have tried the following to troubleshoot/remedy, but nothing has worked:

--show all formatting does not indicate any breaks in the region.

--line spacing in this region is normal.

--margins in this region are normal.

--header/footer "from edge" settings are normal.

--text is not in a table.

Any other ideas how I can resolve?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:00 AM

Answers

• OK I found the culprit.  I was playing around with the text on the 2nd page. I inserted a hard return at various points.  Every time I did so, the text before the hard return shifted the 1st page, where it should have been all along.  But there was still some page break after that text.  I thought that maybe the images might be incorrectly placed/formatted (there are 3 relevant images).  The text wrapping on each was set to square.  Moving/editing  the first 2 didn't do anything.  But on the 3rd page, there was just a few lines of text, then a page break, then some more text on the 4th page.  The student had inserted an image at the bottom of the 3rd page, after the page break, but before the new page.  When I moved this image up just a bit, the mysterious page break disappeared and everything looked normal.  Hope that makes sense.

Hunting that down was neither intuitive nor easy.  Not sure exactly what to take away from this.  I guess that, if there are formatting issues, play with your images?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:35 AM

All replies

• I am assuming that there is a paragraph break at the end of the first page. Check the paragraph formatting for the paragraph that starts the new page.

• Page break before formatting?
    • Keep lines together?
    • Keep with next?

Any of these can cause what looks like a premature page break. The last two especially when used together in multiple paragraphs will cause a page break before the first paragraph with these characteristics.

Basic Formatting in Microsoft Word

Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I have checked all of those as well, but none of those are ticked.
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates, find the Normal.dotm template, then rename it to Normal.old. Restart Word and test again.

If above doesn't make any difference, please try to start Word in safe mode to check the result. To do this, type winword.exe /safe in Start Search and hit Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, October 27, 2014 9:46 AM
  • A few thoughts...

1. Presumably the text is not in a text box or frame, either.

1. Can you isolate the problem, e.g. copy just that text into a new document and still have the problem? If so, could you post an anonymised version of that document somewhere so we can download and inspect.

2. What happens if you delete the last character on the first page, and/or the first character on the next page?

3. What happens if you copy those two characters somewhere else in the document? Do they appear on the same page, or is there a break?

4. It could be worth
     a. inserting some easy-to-find text each side of the break

b. saving your document as XML format (not the Word 2003 XML format, the other one)

c. finding the text and seeing what XML Word is storing at the break. Even if you cannot make sense of the XML, you may be able to copy the XML of the material between those two easy-to-find markers and post it here.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, October 27, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I have checked all of those as well, but none of those are ticked.
    You need to check them with the cursor in the paragraph that starts the next page. These are formatting, not document settings.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I tried both of your suggestions (renaming the template, then starting in safe mode).  But neither had any results.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:11 AM
  • Thanks.  I checked those settings for the paragraph that starts the next page, and none of them are enabled.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestions, and here are the results:

1. Can you isolate the problem, e.g. copy just that text into a new document and still have the problem? 

I copied the offending text into a new document, but the problem does not arise.

2. What happens if you delete the last character on the first page, and/or the first character on the next page?

When I do either of those, the two words in-question merely become one and move to the next page, yet the page break remains.

3. What happens if you copy those two characters somewhere else in the document? Do they appear on the same page, or is there a break?

When I copy those to characters to another area in the document, they appear as normal--no page break is inserted.

4. I carried out the XML test, and here is the code that was between the 2 items of text:  

</w:t></w:r><w:r w:rsidR="000F78A9" w:rsidRPr="00F94E51"><w:rPr><w:rFonts w:ascii="Star Jedi" w:hAnsi="Star Jedi"/><w:sz w:val="24"/><w:szCs w:val="24"/></w:rPr><w:t xml:space="preserve"> </w:t></w:r><w:proofErr w:type="spellStart"/><w:r w:rsidR="00571E39"><w:rPr><w:rFonts w:ascii="Star Jedi" w:hAnsi="Star Jedi"/><w:sz w:val="24"/><w:szCs w:val="24"/></w:rPr><w:lastRenderedPageBreak/><w:t>

"Star Jedi" is the name of the font that is being applied in the document.  It is applied throughout the text of the document--no other fonts are used.  I don't know what I'm looking at, but I see 2 potential items of interest here:  <w:t xml:space="preserve"> and <w:lastRenderedPageBreak/>.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:23 AM
  • Re. the XML test, you have picked out the potential interest items.

That said, neither is unusual - the space="preserve" is routinely inserted by Word, and w:lastRenderedPageBreak is also typical where Word determines a page break.

Still, if you have not already done so, I would certainly try opening the XML file in (say) Notepad, finding and deleting the <w:lastRenderedPageBreak>, saving the file and re-opening in Word. My guess is that Word will still split the text at the same point.

There are a few other simple things I would do or check here, but I don't really think they will fix this. e.g.

- insert a paragraph soon after the beginning of the text on the "next page". Does any text move back onto the previous page?

- is the document a .docx? If it's a .doc, save it as a .docx
     - in a copy of the document, change the font of the entire document to one of the standard fonts such as Calibri. But then I would expect pagination to change anyway.
     - look at the per-document options in File->Options->Advanced->Compatibility options (it's at the bottom)->Layout options , looking for "unusual" settings. I'd probably impose the Microsoft Word 2010 option set if that isn't what you already have.
     - use Review->Language->Set proofing language to mark a copy of the entire text of the document with "Do not check spelling or grammar", and uncheck "Detect language automatically".

Other than that, I would probably focus on the point that "I copied the offending text into a new document, but the problem does not arise.". I would, for example, consider copying everything in my document except for section markers into a completely new document, then re-introduce section markers.

Peter Jamieson

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:27 AM
  • OK I found the culprit.  I was playing around with the text on the 2nd page. I inserted a hard return at various points.  Every time I did so, the text before the hard return shifted the 1st page, where it should have been all along.  But there was still some page break after that text.  I thought that maybe the images might be incorrectly placed/formatted (there are 3 relevant images).  The text wrapping on each was set to square.  Moving/editing  the first 2 didn't do anything.  But on the 3rd page, there was just a few lines of text, then a page break, then some more text on the 4th page.  The student had inserted an image at the bottom of the 3rd page, after the page break, but before the new page.  When I moved this image up just a bit, the mysterious page break disappeared and everything looked normal.  Hope that makes sense.

Hunting that down was neither intuitive nor easy.  Not sure exactly what to take away from this.  I guess that, if there are formatting issues, play with your images?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:35 AM
  • > Not sure exactly what to take away from this.

Arriving at a solution is not a bad "take away" IMO :-) 

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:21 PM