none
Drop downs broken, recent file list gone, gantt bar formatting is plain, other bugs too. RRS feed

• Question

• I have Project 2010 Professional installed on a desktop and laptop that are accessing the same files.  The version on the desktop has started acting very buggy throughout the program, I have found work around for all the bugs but they are very annoying. Here is a list of the ones I have found....

1) Cannot select resource names from drop down in table view.  They drop down show up and I can check a box but the changes does not stick.  The work around is to open the task information box and enter the names there.

2) The recently opened file list is empty.

3) When inserting a new column in a table I cannot pick the field name from the drop down.  I have to insert the columns by going to view - tables - more tables and use the edit command.  

4) Gantt view bars look very plain.  The rounded corners and borders are gone, I just have rectangular square corner bars.

Again these issue only happen on the desktop.  I originally had 64 bit office installed there and 32 bit on the laptop but today I uninstalled the 64 bit off the desktop and re0installed 32 bit hoping it would solve these issues, it did not.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve 

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:47 PM

Answers

• Steve,

This one was fairly easy to "nail" because I had similar issues when I created a new virtual machine and installed Project 2010 with Office 2007. I would think that the options are set appropriately as default when Project is initially installed but from my own experience that isn't always the case. For example, when I first installed Project 2010 it was on a virtual machine with Windows 7 and Office 2010. Worked fine, all options set "appropriately". However, as I noted above when I created another virtual machine with Windows XP and Office 2007, the Project 2010 options were not set appropriately.

Normally the best way to reset all Project defaults is to exit Project and trash your existing global file. Then res=start Project and it will create a new default global which will be saved as you new working global. Maybe this will work for this issue, I don't know, you could try it. If not, I would just check you options and adjust as necessary. Once they are properly set, they won't change until you change them. (I may be a little bit out on a limb on that last statement.) The "good" news is, options not set properly don't really do any "damage" other than create confusion and frustration, it's not like file corruption which is whole other "fun" issue.

Personally I think the "edit directly in cell" is a lousy option. I can't think of an instance when the user would not want it set and the way it is implemented, (i.e. creates all kinds of havoc), when it is not set is ridiculous. Bad choice in my opinion.

As for your item #2, that very well could be related to not having updates installed. When Project 2010 was first released it had some issues with functionality and compatibility (so who's surprised). The SP1 service pack and subsequent cumulative updates have been released to address most of those issues.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Two suggestions. First, make sure you have the latest service pack (SP1) and cumulative updates installed (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587)

Second, the symptoms you describe indicate you may have the option to "edit directly in cell" turned off. You will find than under Task/Options/Advanced group/Edit section.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:13 PM
  • John,

You nailed it.  "Edit directly in cell" was unchecked so that fixed issues #1 and #3.  I also found that the "Show bars and shapes in Gantt views in 3-D" was unchecked, that fixed the plain formatting I mentioned in item #4.  Only issue I cannot seem to find a fix for is #2 but that is so minor I'm really not that worried about it.  

I am now wondering how these setting got changed and what else may have been changed that I don't know about.  Is there a way to reset the programs default settings?  Or even export the settings from my laptop and import them to the desktop?

Steve

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Steve,

This one was fairly easy to "nail" because I had similar issues when I created a new virtual machine and installed Project 2010 with Office 2007. I would think that the options are set appropriately as default when Project is initially installed but from my own experience that isn't always the case. For example, when I first installed Project 2010 it was on a virtual machine with Windows 7 and Office 2010. Worked fine, all options set "appropriately". However, as I noted above when I created another virtual machine with Windows XP and Office 2007, the Project 2010 options were not set appropriately.

Normally the best way to reset all Project defaults is to exit Project and trash your existing global file. Then res=start Project and it will create a new default global which will be saved as you new working global. Maybe this will work for this issue, I don't know, you could try it. If not, I would just check you options and adjust as necessary. Once they are properly set, they won't change until you change them. (I may be a little bit out on a limb on that last statement.) The "good" news is, options not set properly don't really do any "damage" other than create confusion and frustration, it's not like file corruption which is whole other "fun" issue.

Personally I think the "edit directly in cell" is a lousy option. I can't think of an instance when the user would not want it set and the way it is implemented, (i.e. creates all kinds of havoc), when it is not set is ridiculous. Bad choice in my opinion.

As for your item #2, that very well could be related to not having updates installed. When Project 2010 was first released it had some issues with functionality and compatibility (so who's surprised). The SP1 service pack and subsequent cumulative updates have been released to address most of those issues.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:55 PM